Cheesy Bacon and Egg Hash for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Easy to make and ready in 30 minutes!
Cheesy Bacon and Egg Hash… Not just a breakfast recipe! This breakfast skillet is one of those breakfast for dinner recipes, when you need something quick, filling and absolutely incredibly delicious.
This breakfast skillet is hands down the BEST way to cook your eggs, potatoes, bacon and cheese! What may look complicated as actually one of the most easiest recipes I’m going to make you cook. Yes. MAKE YOU. This skillet is full of golden potatoes, fried in a small amount of oil OR baked (your choice), followed closely with more crispy-ness in the form of bacon, with scallions (shallots for us Aussies) coming in third to add another layer of flavour, and THEN melted mozzarella cheese! In about 30 minutes.
Here’s the deal. I could tell you some story about how this came to be in my kitchen. But I won’t. Because boring, right? Instead, I’ll tell you how I stood around the stove, absorbing the smells of crispy, frying potatoes hovering around my face, while watching them go from pale white to the most beautiful golden brown colour, resisting the urge to dip my fingers into the skillet to grab one.
WHAT GOES IN A CHEESY BACON AND EGG HASH
- Potatoes ✓
- Bacon ✓
- Scallions (or green onions) ✓
- Eggs ✓
- Cheese ✓
BEST BREAKFAST RECIPE
Do you ever have those moments while your cooking where you gasp, take a moment to look at what you’re creating and smile to yourself with pride? Because I had one of those. Watching the mozzarella melt all around and through the potatoes was kind of soothing.
Don’t judge me. The older I get, the more I appreciate the beauty of life. And cheese.
See? CHEESE. That’s what I said. Cheesy Bacon and Egg Hash, better known as a Loaded Breakfast Skillet, will be the best thing you’ll ever eat in the morning!
Bacon And Egg Hash (Breakfast Skillet) on video
More Easy Breakfast Ideas!
Cheesy Bacon and Egg Hash (Breakfast Skillet)
- 24 oz (700 g) potatoes, (about 4 medium-sized), scrubbed clean and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, (or coconut oil)
- 7 oz (200 g) diced bacon, (trimmed of fat)
- 2 scallions or spring onions, (shallots) trimmed and finely sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheddar)
- Cracked pepper to season
- Dice potatoes into small 3/4-inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet or pan over medium heat. Fry the potatoes in the hot oil and cook while stirring occasionally, until golden and crispy (about 20 minutes). To speed up cooking time, cover pan with a lid, checking the potatoes every 4-5 minutes or so to stir them (this takes about 15 minutes).
- Add the bacon pieces to the pan and fry while stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until crisp. The potatoes will be golden with crisp edges, while soft on the inside. Add the spring onions; stir them through and season with pepper (optional).
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, make four wells in the hash, crack an egg into each well and arrange the mozzarella around each egg. Fry until the whites are set and the eggs are cooked to your liking. Serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 400°F | 200°C. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in a cast iron skillet or oven proof pan (or baking sheet). Spray with a light coating of cooking oil spray and bake for about 30 minutes, mixing them around halfway through cook time, until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven, add the bacon, and place back into the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- Make four wells in the hash, crack an egg into each well and arrange the mozzarella around each egg. Place skillet (or pan) back into the oven until the whites are set and the eggs are cooked to your liking. Serve immediately.