TWO desserts collide into one irresistible breakfast with this Apple Pie French Toast Bake! This casserole, also known as bread pudding, is a family favourite breakfast!
All I can say is; this Apple Pie French Toast Bake made my oven and stomach happy!
Soft french toast sits beneath cinnamon flavoured apple slices, topped with an incredible crisp topping for a crunch texture (WHICH IS OPTIONAL), and finished with a drizzle of maple flavoured frosting. My world of desserts for breakfast — on special occasions — isn’t that bad, really. Right?
If you’re looking for a savoury casserole to feed a crowd, check out this LOADED Sweet Potato Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole. However, if you’re a hopeless romantic sweet tooth like me, this would be right up your cravings alley; around the corner from hormone city and down the street to dessert haven.
Not a bad place to be in. If you remember the Easy Cinnamon Apple Crisp from a month ago — way back in time — THAT crisp has stayed with me, haunting and taunting me to be made again….and again….and again. But, how to make it completely acceptable for breakfast, a long with some protein to fill us up enough to wait for the next meal, without being thrown into a fit of starving mad rage.
French toast. The logic side of my brain says NO, this is not a healthy breakfast food. Oh, but the apple pie / french toast lover that resides deep in my soul says yes a thousand times over. The side of me I try to squash down with smoothie bowls and chia puddings.
This. Apple Pie French Toast Bake. For thanksgiving. Or for any time, really. Is. Just. Everything.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Apple Pie French Toast Bake
- 1 can ((21 ounce | 595 gram) apple pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large apples (, sliced)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
FRENCH TOAST BAKE:
- 1 x 450 gram | 15 ounce loaf vienna (, french bread or challah, roughly cubed)
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
CRISP TOPPING (OPTIONAL FOR ADDED CRUNCH):
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats ((or rolled oats for a chewier crumb))
- 1/3 cup plain | all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter (, melted (I use light or reduced fat))
- 1/2 cup confectioners | icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
FOR APPLE PIE FILLING (If not using Apple Pie Filling):
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Melt butter; add apple slices, sugar and cinnamon; mix through to evenly coat. Cook for 10-15 minutes until apples are soft and tender.
FOR FRENCH TOAST:
- Spray a 9x13 dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the diced bread in the baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar (or sweetener), vanilla and cinnamon. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Press bread down into the egg wash to completely soak.
- Pour the apple pie filling over the top of the soaked bread.
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and melted butter. Mix well using a spatula or your fingertips,to soak the butter through the dry ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the soaked bread in the baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
READY TO BAKE:
- Preheat oven to 175°C | 350°F. Remove baking dish from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Then bake for 40-50 minutes until the crisp is golden browned and the casserole is completely cooked through.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- In small bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over casserole.
- Serve warm.