A thick and lightened up Creamy Parmesan Herb Chicken Mushroom with a kick of garlic is your new favourite dinner recipe! With NO heavy cream — or ANY cream — at ALL!
Creamy Parmesan Herb Chicken Mushroom! Wow! So many flavours in the one pan! Crispy skinned chicken simmered in a beautifully thick and creamy sauce, using NO cream, with a mixture of herbs, a good kick of garlic and parmesan; simple ingredients for maximum taste. Sounds good, right? This is the first recipe I’m sharing with you all for 2017. A low fat alternative without depriving us of any flavours.
This chicken was SO GOOD, I had to make it a second time right after everyone had eaten, because they ALL wanted MORE. And since then, we’ve made it at least once a week since I first introduced the family to all of these flavours (back in October, 2016). It seems totally unfair I’ve been holding onto this for so long without sharing it. Truth be told, I didn’t think the photos were good enough to share them. Well, must’ve had rocks in my head.
As with all of my chicken thigh recipes, you start this one off by searing them first to get the skin nice and crisp. After that; make your sauce and finish it all off in the oven until the chicken is completely cooked through. Of course, if you want to use chicken breasts you CAN do so without baking. Just continue simmering them in the sauce until they are completely cooked through.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 6 chicken thighs (skin on or off, bone in or out)*
- 2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 400 g | 14 oz cups sliced mushrooms (1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs*
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1½ cups 2% milk**
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion powder (or stock powder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons of extra 2% milk***
- ¾ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley (EXTRA), to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat cooking oil spray in a large, non stick and oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear chicken thighs until golden and crispy on each side (about 3-4 minutes each side). Transfer to a warm plate.
- Transfer to oven and roast until completely cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once chicken is done, remove from skillet to a warm plate; set aside. Drain some of the excess fat from the pan, reserving 2 tablespoons for added flavour. Return pan to medium-high heat; sauté the garlic in the pan juices until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the mushrooms, herbs and 2 teaspoons of parsley; fry until they just begin to soften.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the milk and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, and being careful not to boil. Add in the bullion powder and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Pour the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add ½ cup of parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the cream to take on the flavours. Taste test and add extra salt or pepper, if desired.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of parsley and ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Serve with steamed rice, over steamed vegetables or pasta.
**If you don't have access to Italian herbs, use 2 teaspoons dried oregano and 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves.
***For DAIRY FREE OPTIONS: Substitute milk with almond or rice milk.
SIDE NOTE: Alternatively, replace the milk with half and half or heavy cream, but do not add the cornstarch mixture. You won't need it.
****For a gluten free option, find GLUTEN FREE Cornstarch where available
PLEASE NOTE: Due to some readers having difficulty with this recipe, I have retested it and found the original recipe posted works fine, as it has for many other readers. However, I have modified the recipe since posting for a better outcome for future readers! ENJOY!
© 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.