Oven Fried Tempura Batter Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with a Teriyaki Sauce
Crispy fried Tempura style Shrimp/Prawns wrapped in fresh crisp lettuce leaves and coated in a beautiful Teriyaki sauce.
For the love of god. Not another lettuce wrap recipe?! I know, I know. I hang my head in shame. I’ve seen so many lately my eyeballs are turning green. But then…these happened. If your tired of your boring old lettuce wraps and need some crispy fried stuff in your lives…make.these.
This is the best of both worlds. Less fattening than one of the world’s favourite foods of all time — Tempura-Inspired Prawns using this recipe — but so incredibly crispy no one knows they’re not deep fried. I mean…no.one.
And now…we can all go live in a happy place. Where everything is crumbed and low in fat and calories, but super juicy and taste deep fried.
This was once again one of my, ‘I want tempura and I want Teriyaki but I don’t want to gain any weight just by looking at it,’ type of situations. So three became one. And they lived happily ever after. Because it’s no secret my love for Teriyaki runs deep…with Simple Teriyaki Chicken and Teriyaki Glazed Salmon up in here already. That’s it right there.
Drizzle on some of that good lovin’ Teriyaki sauce. Proceed to stuff your face. With chopsticks. To keep the mood going.
Weight Watchers: 6pp per serve (about 10 shrimp including soy sauce)!
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 clove garlic, minced)
- 1 head lettuce of choice (I use Iceberg), rinsed and leaves separated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper, grated
- Use THIS RECIPE for the crumbed shrimp.While they're oven-frying, make your Teriyaki sauce:
- Combine all of the Teriyaki sauce ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Divide the grated vegetables into each lettuce cup; place about 10 shrimp into each, tails removed; and drizzle with the teriyaki sauce.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.