This is my happy place. A bowl of steaming hot pasta tangled with a beautifully rich and smooth bolognese sauce exploding with so much flavour you’ll be dipping and licking the sauce directly from the wooden spoon before it hits the pasta!
So thick and creamy — our go-to spaghetti sauce is passed down from my mum to me and now to you. And come to think of it, you could have this with any pasta (of course), in Lasagna or even over Cannelloni. Because we only live once —> so make it good. And with chunky ground beef because we like it that way.
With a hint of red wine, Oregano and Parsley; and added cream to to give the sauce a smooth and creamy texture, the smells coming out of this pan of bubbling garlic infused tomato richness draws everyone out of their rooms to find out exactly what is going down for dinner. In an interested way instead of a bored and not really listening way. And the house smells like heaven.
So I always make a double batch, just because I know we’ll be craving it again tomorrow.
You guys….the kids love this spaghetti (sorry for yelling). They fall for saucy Spaghetti like Lady and the Tramp locking lips in a Spaghetti collision.
And the sauce being nice and healthy with the grated carrots and zucchini, which by the way gives it a beautiful slightly sweet flavour, adds about two extra bonuses that kids have absolutely no idea there’s some health benefits in here.
And neither do any adults. Because as it so happens, after dinner when things are done and dusted, I spy kids and big people going back and scooping sauce out of the pan, eating it like their lives depend on it.
So who’m I to go stop them and say no?
Go children. Go. Sooth your souls…
And our weekend is always complete with the perfect carb coma.
Weight Watchers: 15pp per serve (out of 5 serves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 500g | 1lbs extra lean minced beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 80ml red wine (optional)
- 1x 700g | 24oz bottle Passata Cooking Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder (or salt to season - adjust to your tastes)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons low fat cream for cooking (or low fat milk)
- Handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- 1x 500g | 1lbs packet spaghetti
- Salt for the pasta cooking water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add the onions, garlic, carrots and zucchini. Fry until vegetables are soft and fragrant (about 3 minutes). Add the beef and fry until browned. Add the tomato paste; pour in the wine and boil until it has reduced and thickened. Reduce heat and stir in the Passata, vegetable stock powder (or salt), and oregano.
- Cover pan with a lid and simmer until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally (about 20-30 minutes). Turn off heat; add the cooking cream (or milk) and stir until combined.
- Cook the spaghetti in a pot of boiling salted water. Drain; add 2 ladlefuls of the sauce and mix until pasta is covered. Divide between 6 serving dishes; top with extra sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.