Fiery Lamb Ragu on Parpadelle
A spicy tweak on a classic Italian pasta dish. This is how we do it over here.
Ragu is one of those pasta sauces that never fail. Adding red chilli into the sauce fires it up and gives it that extra special loving. With or without Parmesan cheese, it holds all the flavours of rustic Italian cooking on its own.
And to us…lamb works just as beautifully in a Ragu than Beef.
A fiery super saucy Ragu spiked with red wine to ensure tender pieces of lamb on top of a bed of Al Dente Parpadelle.
Could be mistaken for eating out at a restaurant. All in the comfort of your own homes.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 11pp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot , peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 700 g | 24oz lamb steaks , diced into 1 1/2-inch cubed pieces
- 2 ripe tomatoes , chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 1 x 700g | 24oz bottle of Italian Passata (or marinara/tomato sauce for U.S readers)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder (or beef)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 500 g | 1lb packet parpadelle pasta
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots; fry until onion is transparent and garlic is fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add the lamb, and sear until browned on all sides. Add the tomatoes; stir the oregano, thyme and chilli flakes through, and fry until tomatoes begin to soften. Pour in the Passata/tomato sauce and the tomato paste; bring to a boil, reduce heat down to low and allow to simmer.
- Add the wine, stock powder and salt to taste; stir and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer over gentle heat, stirring occasionally. When lamb beings to soften, stir the water through. Continue to cook until lamb has softened and sauce has reduced down. Taste test (adjust spice and/or salt accordingly).
- While lamb is simmering, cook pasta to packet instructions until al dente. Once cooked, drain and add 2 ladles of sauce throughout the pasta before serving.
- Serve with the lamb sauce and Parmesan cheese.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.