Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Donut Pancakes
Three cheers to cinnamon sugar donut flavoured fluffy and cake-y pancakes; because they’re filled with melty Nutella and coated with extra cinnamon sugar to quench all donut cravings — for less the fat. And extra flavour. Because Nutella.
Oh haaaayyyyy donut lovers. Donut for breakfast lovers. Donuts filled with Nutella for breakfast lovers. How are thy? Shakespeare would be proud-a these babies.
These pancakes are crazy. Every bite is so fluffy and full of buttery and cinnamon flavours, and then you reach the utopia of warm and oozing melted Nutella, and for a second, you find yourself eyes closed being transported to a chocolate hazelnut haven. So creamy, your mouth waters and earns for more. I’m not making this stuff up. I promise.
This is what a donut craving looks like. A Krispy Kreme donut fetish I have and can’t shake off without polishing a dozen donuts in one hit. Yes, I’m totally serious. And then crossing that with Nutella? Oh lord. Because you guys remember the Nutella fetish I’m lately, right?
Nutella Hot Chocolate; Nutella Fruit French Toast Cannoli, Peanut Butter Nutella Hot Chocolate, Nutella S’mores Crepes, geez I could go on and on. Basically → Nutella. But you know the one that has stuck in my mind lately the way Nutella sticks to everything?
The Nutella Stuffed Churro French Toast from oh.so.long.ago.I.needed.another.donut.type.thing. So I figured, I had some time to kill… No where to go… No one to see…. And children to feed… Experimentation began.
These are exactly – 100% – like a donut. FULL.ON.NOT.KIDDING.
- 1½ cups self raising flour (or plain, light spelt or all purpose flours)
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder (or 3½ teaspoons for plain, spelt or all purpose flour(s))
- 2 tablespoons sugar of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup light butter of choice, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup low fat/skim milk (or almond milk)
- ¼ cup Nutella (or any chocolate/cacao hazelnut spread)
- 4 tablespoons sugar of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons store bought cinnamon sugar
- Combine together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large-sized bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the melted butter, egg, vanilla and milk. Slowly whisk well until smooth. Set aside.
- Place Nutella into the microwave for 30 seconds until warm and slightly thinner. Alternatively, place Nutella in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water (being careful not to have any water touch the Nutella, or it will seize), until melted.
- Heat a nontick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and wipe over with a little butter or oil on a paper towel to lightly grease pan. Pour less than ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently with the back of your ladle. Spoon about ½ teaspoon of Nutella onto the centre of the batter, and then gently pour a little pancake batter evenly over the top to cover the Nutella completely. (You can gently seal it with the back of your spoon to ensure no Nutella touches the pan, or your pancakes can burn or stick).
- When the underside is golden, gently flip with a spatula and cook until golden. Repeat with remaining batter and Nutella. (Please note: no bubbles will form on top like normal pancakes, so check the corners before flipping).
- Prepare a wide shallow dish with the cinnamon sugar, and immediately place each pancake onto the cinnamon sugar while they're still warm. Evenly coat both sides, and place onto a serving dish.
- Serve with fruit, ice cream or frozen yoghurt, or enjoy as they are!
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.