Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is pure comfort food, loaded with vegetables, Italian sausage and cheese tortellini! NO flour and NO heavy cream!
Another day… another slow cooker recipe! I’m so excited about this one! Loaded with carrots, celery and spinach, soft pillows of cheese tortellini, PLUS incredible flavours, this soup is so super creamy without needing any heavy creams. AND without needing to make a roux to get the thick and creamy texture.
You all know how much of a fan I am of converting heavy cream recipes into healthier ones, right? Well, healthier-ish.
Here I am, typing out this post at a ridiculous hour (9:30pm = way past my bedtime), because I couldn’t wait for tomorrow to share it. Impatient is my middle name.
Italian sausage gives this soup an amazing flavour, BUT you CAN substitute it with ground chicken, turkey or beef sausage, OR plain and simple ground meats. For vegetarian options, leave the meat out all together.
Now, about that cream. How does one get a creamy sauce in a slow cooker without needing, well, CREAM? Evaporated milk. Going through my old weight watchers books, I found so many lost and forgotten recipes using evaporated milk and just about slapped myself in the head! How come I haven’t used that method in my recipes yet? Like, what’s wrong with me?
One of the BEST SOUPS I’ve ever tasted. Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup. The best part being it cooks while you’re NOT EVEN HOME! THIS is why I’m excited. Because coming home from a long ass day to find a soothing bowl of comfort already done for you, and only needing a couple extra additions before serving? Priceless!
Craving something lighter? Try this Slow Cooker Tortellini Minestrone Soup!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 500 grams | 1 pound ground Italian sausage (or ground chicken, turkey or beef), browned*
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder (or chicken)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups beef broth (or chicken or vegetable broth -- I use low sodium)
- ¼ cup cornstarch mixed and dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 3x 340 gram | 12-ounce cans full fat evaporated milk or half and half
- 1x 340 gram | 12 ounce packet three cheese tortellini (I used dried not fresh; choose any flavour you like)
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup milk
- Place the browned sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, beef bouillon powder, salt, and broth in a 6-quart / litre slow cooker bowl. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
- Uncover and skim any fat that is sitting on the top of the soup with a spoon; discard. Stir in the cornstarch mixture with the evaporated milk (or half and half or cream). Add the tortellini and mix well. Cover again and cook on HIGH heat setting for a further 45 minutes until the soup has thickened, and the tortellini is soft and cooked through.
- Add in the spinach, pressing the leaves down to completely submerse into the liquid. Cover again for a further 5-10 minutes until the leaves have wilted.
- Pour in milk in ⅓ cup increments, as needed, to reach your desired thickness and consistency (I needed 1 cup); taste test and season with extra salt ONLY if needed, and pepper to suit your tastes.
- Serve with crusty warmed bread
The soup thickens as it cools and absorbs quite a lot of liquid. Extra milk may be needed when reheating leftovers to reach your desired level of creaminess.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.