A thick and creamy Sun Dried Tomato Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms. NO heavy cream — or ANY cream — at ALL! Plus dairy free and gluten free options.
There’s so much flavour happening in this pan right now, and only a quarter of the fat and calories when compared with typical creamy sauce recipes. Pan fried garlic followed closely by sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms AND melted parmesan cheese through this sauce makes this dinner incredible.
How does one make a creamy sauce with no cream, or weird ingredients?
I’m hearing your desperation. First, coat your chicken breasts (or thighs), in a mixture of flour and parmesan cheese. You can use all purpose or plain flour, however, I used Tapioca Flour for this chicken to cut back on gluten. Tapioca Flour is made from cassava root and incredible for gluten free cooking and baking. I use this brand.
Once your chicken is coated in the flour / parmesan mixture, fry them in a skillet (or pan) until golden browned on both sides and cooked through. Then, simply add the sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms, sautéing them until the mushrooms are soft and the pan is filled with sun dried tomato flavours.
Do you see how creamy this sauce is? And how without cream? Using normal, humble milk. That’s it. That’s the BIG secret that’s really no secret. Milk mixed with cornstarch when it’s simmering = a beautiful, thick and creamy sauce without the fat and calories of thickened or heavy based creams. A beautiful, weeknight OR weekend meal that FEELS like a cheat meal withOUT any cheating.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 4 fillets
- 2 tablespoons Tapioca flour (or all purpose or plain flour/s)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons reserved sun dried tomato oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 200g | 7oz jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil, drained (reserve 2 tablespoons of oil for cooking)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (250 g | 8 oz)
- 1½ cups milk (reduced fat, skim or full fat milk) *SEE NOTES FOR DAIRY FREE OPTIONS
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons of water**
- ⅓ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 2 tablespoons fresh shredded basil, to serve
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and parmesan cheese. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in the flour mixture; shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Fry the chicken in batches until golden on each side, cooked through and no longer pink (about 3-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken). Transfer onto a warm plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet; sauté the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms; fry until the mushrooms are just soft.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts trough the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan; sprinkle with the fresh basil and a title extra pepper (optional), and serve over pasta, rice or steamed veg.
**For a gluten free option, find GLUTEN FREE Cornstarch where available
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.