Smokey Mexican Beef Wedges
A skillet full of Mexican flavour, crispy wedges topped with Mexican Taco beef mince, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream and whatever else your heart desires! Smokey Mexican Beef Wedges are a huge family hit over here!
The way you see it is the way we served it. Skillet in the middle, vultures on the outside digging in until there was only seasoning left in the skillet.
We are a huge fan of Mexican anything over here. Remember the Chicken and Corn Enchilada Bake? Kinda like a Mexican Lasagna. Oh. Did I just say that? Or the Steak Fajita Grilled Cheese. Yeah. Good times. So, when my family started shouting at me that they wanted Tacos, I couldn’t make up my mind whether to do one of those again, or make them the Loaded Taco Grilled Cheeses and maybe I’d just settle for the Taco Salad.
Make something different, my inner child whispered into my ears. Wedges. Those Mexican wedges I make so many times and have never shared…until now.
Can I just say, I love this Cast Iron Skillet so much. It just cooks meat in a better-than-a-bbq kinda way. Mexican bb’d beef. Wow. Having said that, you don’t need a skillet to make this. Any pan is fine. But if you have a skillet? Yes. Please, do yourselves a favour. This is so easy to prepare, I surprised myself.
In this house, these wedges are always a hit. Always. Better than ordinary chips/fries. And I know that technically they are the same thang…but! The fatter and chunkier the potato, the better. The seasoning will knock your socks right off, people. Smokey paprika, garlic and cumin. That’s all. And that’s all that was needed. So simple. So easy. And so tasty.
Cut ’em up. Whack ’em in the oven. Let the oven do the job, while your fry up the most delicious Mexican tasting beef ever.
And when it’s all done? Throw those wedges in the beef, top with whatever you want, and go for gold. Salsa, avocado, sour cream, tomatoes and shallots/green onions. Oh, I miss this already.
You will be dancing a fierce Mexican Hat Dance after this.
And if you don’t like beef, I’ve also made these Smokey Mexican Beef Wedges with ground Turkey and Chicken, or even Pork!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Smokey Mexican Beef Wedges are full of Mexican flavour! Crispy wedges topped with Mexican Taco beef mince are a huge family hit over here!
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium potatoes, or 5 large, scrubbed and washed (leave skin on)
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper / bell capsicum, diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground beef mince
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup beef broth or stock (or 1/4 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon Vegeta or beef stock powder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 green onion/scallions, finely sliced
- ¼ fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Sour Cream
- Tomato Salsa OR Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- diced tomatoes
- shredded cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella cheese, Mexican cheese blend, etc
- Preheat oven to 400°F | 200°C. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with non-stick cooking oil spray. Set aside.
- On a chopping board, cut each potato in half lengthways, then cut each half in half again, and then each piece in half again so you end up with 8 wedges. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet or tray.
- Combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over the oil/spices mix and toss the wedges well with your hands.
- Season with salt and bake for 45 minutes until tender and crisp.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the onion ad red peppers / capsicum until onion is transparent. Add in the garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant (a further minute or so).
Add the meat, paprika and cumin. Cook while breaking up the meat with the end of your spoon, mixing all of the flavours together, until the meat is browned. Season with salt and pepper.
Once the wedges are done, spoon the Taco meat over them and serve immediately with any of the following optional toppings: green onion/scallions, fresh coriander, a dollop of sour cream, tomato salsa OR sweet chilli sauce, avocado, tomatoes and cheese.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.