Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore With Potatoes is an EASY weeknight dinner that cooks itself! With chicken falling off the bone in an Italian stew, this is comfort food at its finest.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore With Potatoes is personally one of the most easy but most flavoursome recipes I’ve made!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Cacciatore means hunter in Italian, and alla cacciatora translates to a ‘hunter-style’ meal or stew with chicken, onions, herbs and vegetables, all simmered down in a thick and rich tomato sauce, until the chicken is falling off the bone.
A step up from my popular Chicken Cacciatore recipe, THIS Cacciatore has the added bonus of baby potatoes AND is so easy to make! No baby sitting a pot over the stove required because it’s all done in your slow cooker!
Included in this recipe is the option to browning the chicken first. Personally, I love searing any meat before adding it into the slow cooker, for added flavour. BUT! You don’t have too! Especially if preparing this before work and rushing out the door 20 minutes late with one shoe in hand…..never mind.
Once it’s all done, serve over pasta, steamed vegetables, spaghetti squash OR rice (um….sorry).
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore With Potatoes
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on or off
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed )
- 2 pounds (1 kg) baby potatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 8 cloves)
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 1 small red pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 14 oz (410g) can crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz (400g) bottle tomato passata (tomato sauce or puree for US readers)*
- 150 ml red wine (optional -- substitute with beef broth IF DESIRED)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1 beef bouillon cube crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to your taste)
- pepper (adjust to your taste)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- (OPTIONAL STEP): Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan or skillet. Sear skin-side down (if using skin on thighs) first for 3 minutes, until deep golden brown. Rotate and sear the other side for a further 3 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes in a 6qt slow cooker bowl in single layer. Place the chicken over the potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients over the chicken (except olives and mushrooms).
- Stir to combine; cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Add in the mushrooms and olives in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Season with extra salt, to your tastes and serve.
- Serve over rice, pasta or spaghetti squash.