Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken with artichoke hearts, olives and roasted red peppers in a briny, herby tomato sauce is tender and flavorful with just five minutes of prep work!
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken you can serve over orzo or bowtie noodles is a cross between your favorite Mediterranean appetizer plate and a chicken pasta you’d find in your favorite Mediterranean restaurant.
Hello everyone! It’s Sabrina from Cooking with Points, a recipe blog that specializes in Weight Watchers friendly recipes five days a week. I’ve been a private chef for 8 years and we’re eating healthier this year, so dishes like this Mediterranean chicken have been a fun change for us over all the more cheese and bacon focused recipes we enjoyed last year.
My family’s background is Middle Eastern so these flavors are from my childhood. With just a few easy additions to a classic tomato sauce you’re going to love the flavors of this chicken.
Just a few ingredients, chicken and a 30 second sauce and you’re ready to start cooking!
And if you’re looking more Mediterranean food options I’ve got an easy Greek Lemon Chicken Skewer recipe you’ll love.
The greatest part of this sauce is we use a jar of roasted bell peppers both in the slow cooker and in the sauce. The flavors of the roasted peppers with the herbs and tomato sauce is a whole different dimension of flavors you’ll love.
If you happen to have any leftovers, shred the remaining chicken and sauce and toss with pasta for the best ever leftover meal. You can even toss it with bowtie pasta instead and add cubed feta cheese to make a chicken pasta salad with it.
Plus Karina has a ton of amazing Mediterranean you can also try with similar flavors like her AMAZING Antipasto Cheese Ball Christmas Tree, Pan Seared Fish With Tomatoes & Olives or Loaded Greek Chicken Avocado Salad.
Roasted Red Bell Peppers:
If you’d prefer to make your own roasted bell peppers they’re even more delicious!
- Just add the bell peppers directly to a grill or over a flame on your stovetop until charred and bubbled.
- Put the bell peppers in a large bowl and cover with saran wrap to steam off the bell pepper skin.
- Peel the skins and remove the internal seeds before putting it into a glass tupperware.
- The bell peppers will release more liquids too which are delicious.
Hope you all enjoy this Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken and I hope to see you around Cooking with Points!
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers divided
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 each chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- In a small food processor add half the roasted bell peppers, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, sugar and crushed red pepper flakes and puree.
- Add the chicken thighs skin side up in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining roasted red peppers, olives and artichoke hearts around the chicken pieces.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and around the edge of the pan.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Susan Colameta says
Would this work with bone in chicken breast?
Does this work best with bone-in chicken thighs?
I prefer bone-in but you can choose to have it without! Thanks so much for choosing one of my recipes! XO
Mary Jo Moorehead says
This is by far the best I mean best slow cooker meal I have ever served
Doug Fortune says
Made it today, and wow, extremely tasty! When it was done in the crock pot, I poured the liquid in a pan and added a can of tomato paste and some shredded mozzarella cheese Kickin It Up. Served the chicken over orzo smothered in the sauce… OMG it was incredible!