Pomegranate Cobb Salad + Video on how to deseed a pomegranate!
A healthy start to the new year. Much like a lighter Cobb Salad, throwing fresh ingredients into a bowl with an abundance of Pomegranates! Only 303 calories per a main sized serve, or 8 Weight Watchers SP.
Crispy bacon, creamy avocado, eggs, tomatoes and salty feta is an incredible combination. Not one to put fruit on my salads, I was curious to see how this would work. And it worked.
An incredible mixture of sweet and juicy pomegranates mixed with the savoury flavours of pan fried chicken for extra protein; easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Pomegranate seeds are my new favourite fruit. Low in calories (83 calories per 100g serve OR 0 smart points on the new Weight Watchers system), high in vitamins C and K, high in fiber, and rich in phytochemicals (polyphenols including anthocyanins, tannins and quercetin) that may promote heart health and help to prevent cancer.
Since many of you have been asking for videos, a helpful way to start a series would be kicking off with a deseeding video. If you can’t find the seeds in your store, don’t let that beautiful fruit scare you. They’re easy to deseed and worth the 10 seconds it takes doing so. They will not get bruised in this method. I’ve done this many times and have beautiful seeds falling out of the fruit.
Once your seeds are ready, wash your greens and fry your chicken and bacon.
Mix together your dressing and enjoy a fresh and healthier low fat salad!
For the Salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce , chopped
- 1 cup arugula/rocket leaves
- 1 x 250 g | 9 oz boneless skinless chicken breast , cooked and sliced
- 1 x 125 g | 4 12 oz packet of lean shortcut bacon (Weight Watchers), cut into strips and pan fried
- 1 pomegranate , prepared as shown (or 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs , peeled and sliced
- 8 red grape/cherry tomatoes , halved
- 8 gold grape tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 avocado , sliced
- 1/3 cup reduced fat feta or blue cheese , cubed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 tablespoons water
- salt to taste
- Arrange all salad ingredients into a large serving bowl. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
For the Dessing:
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together in a small jug. Serve over the salad.