Fajita Chicken Burrito Bowl is packed with juicy golden chicken, cilantro lime rice, avocado and a delicious dressing! Perfect for Meal Prep!
Healthy, filling and a good-for-you Burrito Bowl comes together in minutes! Full of fresh ingredients and incredible flavour thanks to your favourite dressing, these burrito bowls are the perfect example of a healthy, hearty meal without sacrificing your taste buds.
WHAT GOES IN A BURRITO BOWL?
A good burrito bowl can really contain anything you like. Don’t let the long ingredients list daunt you! Just imagine all of the flavour in one bowl.
For this recipe, we used
- Cilantro lime rice — or cauliflower rice. You could also use quinoa, brown rice or minute rice.
- Black beans — substitute with red beans, chick peas, or refried beans
- Corn — fresh, canned or frozen
- Red onion — or green onion slices
- Red and yellow pepper (capsicum) strips
- Avocado slices
CHICKEN FAJITA FLAVOUR
Taking a note from the Best Chicken Fajitas, we used that recipe as a base to make these burrito bowls! The marinade is so incredible, you don’t need to marinate the chicken for long at all! 5 minutes or overnight, customise it to your specific needs, then sear or grill chicken until beautifully charred on the outer edges, while juicy and tender on the inside.
BURRITO BOWL MEAL PREP
Prefer to meal prep instead of serving your burrito bowl as a main meal? No problem!
- Have all of your fresh ingredients divided into 4-6 containers.
- Cook your chicken, peppers and rice — allow to cool and divide into containers.
- Prepare your dressing and pour into smaller salad dressing containers to avoid your burrito bowl going soggy.
- Save your avocado until ready to serve.
ARE BURRITO BOWLS HEALTHY?
Yes, they are! Well-balanced with protein, carbs and healthy fats. You can make them lower in carbs by swapping out the rice for Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice and leaving out the corn.
Looking for more? Try these!
Fajita Chicken Burrito Bowl
For The Chicken And Peppers:
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground chili, (adjust to your desired spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro, (optional)
- 4 large chicken thighs, skinless and boneless (1 pound or 500 grams)
- 2 large bell peppers (or capsicums), cut into strips (I use green, red and yellow)
For The Rice:
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice, (or Jasmine)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice, (juice of 1 lime)
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, (or parsley) -- adjust to your taste
For Burrito Bowl:
- 5 cups Romaine lettuce leaves (or Cos) washed and strained dry
- 7 ounces (200 g) can black beans, washed and drained
- 7 ounces (200 g) corn
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, (or parsley) -- adjust to your taste
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- In a large shallow bowl, combine lime juice, oil, garlic, cumin, salt, chili and cilantro; mix together. Add the chicken thighs and If time allows, let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or pan (12-inch | 30cm) on medium-high heat until smoking. Add a drizzle of olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the chicken on both sides until golden, charred and cooked right through (about 8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your fillets). Flip them a couple of times while cooking so they get a nice even char.Transfer chicken to a warm plate, loosely tent with foil and let rest.
- Add the peppers to the skillet (drizzle with a little extra oil only if needed), and cook until soft and slightly charred. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken is marinading or cooking, cook rice: Combine together the rice, chicken stock (or broth), and garlic in a pot over high heat. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover with a lid until the rice is cooked through.
- Fluff up rice with a fork and mix through lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together to combine.
- Combine lettuce, beans, corn, onion and peppers into 4 bowls. Slice chicken into strips and arrange into bowls. Top each with avocado slices and drizzle with dressing.