Pico De Gallo is a super easy to make fresh tomato salsa you can serve with anything! From tortilla chips to tacos, enchiladas or Carne Asada!
With a handful of ingredients, this Pico De Gallo is the perfect accompaniment that goes with anything! Also called salsa fresca or salsa cruda, a good Pico is made with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeños, salt, and lime juice.
What is Pico De Gallo
Pico De Gallo (beak of rooster), is a type of fresh, chunky salsa, with each ingredient chopped into distinct pieces. Traditionally dressed with a simple dressing such as lime juice and salt, it literally takes minutes to prepare and have ready not he table to serve with anything you like!
Pico De Gallo Recipe
Most Pico recipes are the same with very minor substitutions or alterations. Whether you’re serving your Pico immediately OR refrigerating for later, I have found these tips to be the most helpful when serving this salsa on our Mexican nights!
The secret lies in the tomatoes!
- Serving immediately: if you’re serving your pico de gallo immediately once prepared, you can go ahead and chop up your ripe tomatoes with pulp and juice.
- Refrigerating for later: for later use, I have found the BEST way to keep it fresh is to scoop out the pulp (seeds and juice) and chopping up the outer layer of the tomato. This helps keep your pico fresh without getting soggy or super watery!
How to make pico de gallo
The most simplest recipes sometimes truly are the best. In this case, it really is. All you need for a good pico is to:
Taste test as you go. Add more salt, more pepper, a sprinkle of chili powder or Cayenne, or even some cumin if YOU wish! It’s completely up to you to alter the recipe to your tastes!
You can put this on ANYTHING! We have ours with tortilla chips, on Nachos, in Tacos, or over Carne Asada!
Looking for more? Try these!
Chunky Shrimp Guacamole | Chili Lime Texas Caviar (Cowboy Caviar) | Guacamole
Pico De Gallo
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (from about 3-4 ripe tomatoes)*
- 1/3 cup spring onions/scallions green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño seeds removed
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and well combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Mindy Mcjunkin says
I absolutely loved this! Made it tonight with your chicken fajita recipe. Dinner was perfect. I will never by store bought Pico de Gallo or salsa ever again. From now own I will make this. It was so fresh and flavorful. Love, love, love it!