Hawaiian Chicken Bacon Pineapple Kebabs with a BBQ twist! Crispy bacon and chicken smothered in a Hawaiian style pineapple and barbecue sauce, these skewers are so addictive!
Hawaiian Chicken Bacon Pineapple Kebabs are the perfect snacks for the sunshine!
The combination of salty and sweet shine through these kebabs, with a flavour packed punch. Normally, Hawaiian chicken calls for tomato sauce. These kebabs replace tomato sauce with barbecue sauce for more of a delicious bbq flavour and less sugar.
First, here in Australia, we have Short Cut Bacon Rashers which are made from selected lean pork loins. They have more meat and less fat than normal bacon, and I use them in this recipe to get more meaty BACON flavour in my kebabs. Having said that, if this type of bacon is unavailable to you, you can use the bacon you normally use for your cooking and grilling.
As pictured above , the bacon is sliced to just cover the piece of chicken on the skewer: approximately 2 1/2 inches in length and 1-inch wide.
If you have any leftover pineapple, slice them into discs and serve them with these kebabs! Island Summer vibes came knocking in my very wintery Melbourne kitchen.
Juicy pineapple, crispy bacon and chicken grilled with red onion, peppers and an incredible bbq marinade!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 500 g | 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 16 short cut bacon rashers, halved lengthways (or any bacon you have. Slice 2½ inches in length and 1-inch wide.SEE ABOVE COLLAGE)*
- 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple (from one large, whole pineapple)
- 1 large red pepper (capsicum), diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper (capsicum), diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, diced into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Mix the bbq sauce together with the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, garlic and sesame oil in a large jug or bowl.
- Preheat a grill pan (or grill plates on the bbq) over medium-huigh heat. Thread the red onion, red pepper (capsicum) piece), pineapple, green pepper, bacon and chicken onto skewers, wrapping the bacon around the chicken as pictured in the above collage. Repeat until all of the chicken has been used. Coat skewers all over with HALF of the marinade (reserving the other HALF for basting).
- Brush grill pan or grates over with olive oil. Grill the skewers for 5 minutes; brush over ¼ cup of reserved marinade. Turn skewers over and coat with remaining ¼ cup of marinade. Grill for a further 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and to your liking. Serve immediately.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.