Hawaiian Bacon Pineapple Chicken Kebabs smothered in a delicious Hawaiian bbq sauce!
Crispy bacon and saucy, charred chicken with juicy pineapple chunks, peppers (capsicums), red onion and the best garlicky-bbq sauce! Hawaiian Bacon Pineapple Chicken Kebabs are so addictive! The perfect meat on a skewer with the combination of a salty, sweet flavour packed punch.
Chicken Kebabs, Kebobs or Skewers
Whatever you call them, there’s no arguing that they are simple and quick to make! Throwing them on the grill ensures the chicken gets beautifully charred on the outside while staying juicy on the inside. Normally, Hawaiian chicken calls for tomato sauce. These chicken kebabs replace tomato sauce with your favourite barbecue sauce for more amazing flavour.
Metal or Bamboo Skewers
You can use either for this recipe. If using bamboo skewers, remember to soak them in water for a good 30 minutes to prevent the wood from burning on the grill. You can also soak them overnight for better results as well-soaked skewers will last longer on the grill without burning.
Metal skewers, however, do not require any preparation. We normally grease them with a light coating of oil.
How To Make Chicken Kebabs
These skewers are so easy to prepare!
Use a cut of bacon with the most meat. We use short cut bacon, but you can use any you have on hand. Slice bacon approximately 2 1/2 inches in length and 1-inch wide, or just enough to cover each piece of chicken on the skewer. If this type of bacon is unavailable to you, you can use the bacon you normally use for your cooking and grilling.
We prefer fresh pineapple for this recipe, but you can use canned if that’s all you have. Slice any leftover pineapple into discs and serve them with these kebabs on the side!
Looking for more grilling recipes? Try these!
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED JUNE 14,2016
Hawaiian Bacon Pineapple Chicken Kebabs
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound (500 g) chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 bacon rashers trimmed of excess fat and halved lengthways (2 1/2 inch x 1-inch).
- 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple
- 1 large red pepper (capsicum) diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper (capsicum) diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion diced into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Mix the bbq sauce together with the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, garlic and sesame oil in a large jug or bowl.
- Preheat a grill pan (or grill plates on the bbq) over medium-high heat.
- Thread the red onion, red pepper (capsicum) piece), pineapple, green pepper, bacon and chicken onto skewers, wrapping the bacon around the chicken as pictured above. Repeat until all of the chicken has been used. Coat skewers evenly with HALF of the marinade (reserve other HALF for basting).
- Brush grill pan or grates over with olive oil. Grill the skewers for 5 minutes; brush over 1/4 cup of reserved marinade. Turn skewers over and coat with remaining 1/4 cup of marinade. Grill for a further 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and to your liking. Serve immediately.