Grilled Chicken Caprese With Buffalo Mozzarella is a family favourite lower carb lunch or dinner!
With all the CAPRESE RECIPES I have on this blog, I couldn’t let the chance go by without posting a grilled chicken caprese recipe! Much like this Chicken Avocado Caprese Salad, the flavours are so intense, you will be busting this recipe out at your next barbecue!
What I love about this recipe is the fresh slices of buffalo mozzarella cheese that melts on top of these charred-tender chicken breast fillets. Of course, if you can’t find Buffalo, you can use normal mozzarella cheese (preferably fresh mozzarella), BUT if you CAN find it or already have it in your refrigerator, well GO YOU!
What’s the difference between the two? The creamy taste of Buffalo mozzarella is, in my opinion, much nicer than regular mozzarella. PLUS, the texture compared with regular (or Cow’s) Mozzarella is A LOT softer when melting. Also, its STAYS soft and almost creamy in texture, as opposed to the hard or rubbery texture regular mozzarella cheese transforms into when just beginning to cool down (the whole 10 seconds from grill to plate, for example).
First though, this chicken is supremo numero uno! The chicken is coated in the most delicious balsamic marinade, with a hint of garlic and a mixture of Italian herbs for an outstanding flavour bomb!
I grill the tomato slices to give them a charred sweetness, before placing them on the cheese and drizzling the entire thing in a balsamic reduction.
Have you ever seen a softer mozzarella cheese?
Grilled Chicken Caprese With Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 roma tomato sliced
- 4 thick slices buffalo mozzarella (about 14 ounces or 400 grams)
- 4 tablespoons basil shredded
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze (or reduction), store bought
- In a large shallow bowl, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add in the chicken and allow to marinate for half an hour (if time allows).Preheat grill plates over medium heat, and grill chicken for 5-6 minutes each side, or until completely cooked through in the centre, and slightly charred on the outer edges. While chicken is cooking, grill the tomato slices for 1-2 minutes each side. Top each breast with a slice of mozzarella and grilled tomato slice, allowing the heat to melt the cheese.To serve, top with the shredded basil and balsamic reduction.