Easy Garlic Flatbread Recipe (No Yeast)
Paired up with the Shakshuka (or Menemen) recipe from last week is this incredibly easy flatbread recipe, as promised, with a subtle kick of garlic for extra flavour. These flatbreads are soft on the inside while crispy on the outside and perfectly salted and flavoured. Using a mixture of Greek yogurt for added protein, and olive oil to make them pliable and soft without making them too doughy, they come in at 152 calories per flatbread, or Weight Watchers 4 Smart Points!
Plus, the added bonus of being healthier than store bought wraps without any added artificial preservatives.
I mean, who doesn’t love warm, soft, FRESH bread steaming out of a pan and filling their kitchens with that unmistakable, sweet-fresh-bread-smell? The one that draws you into a bakery in slow motion that you feel like you’re floating in on a cloud. THAT aroma is one of my favourites, and one that was drifting through my kitchen.
This recipe is so easy. Minimal ingredients, NO YEAST, and maximum texture and flavour. Because with bread, it’s all about that perfect soft texture on the inside.
Start off with your own dough, and once it’s all together, cover with cling wrap. While this one was set aside, I made that killer Shakshuka for dipping.
Once it has rested, divide it in two… Then into 10 equal parts (or approximately). Roll them into balls…
Then using a rolling pin, roll them flat. They don’t need to be perfect. I love the rustic look of freshly made wraps!
…and get ready to be mesmerised at how easy it is to make your own wraps at home!
I love to brush a small amount of oil onto them when they’ve just come out of the pan. The fried bread flavour is crazy!
Or just leave them as they are. Either way is a win-win! I would brag about how this is the ONLY flatbread recipe you’ll ever need, but…well, okay this is the only flatbread recipe you’ll ever need. Combining two completely different recipes — one from Jamie Oliver and the other from Julie Goodwin, this recipe down there ↓ is absolutely incredible.
Weight Watchers Smart Points: 4 per flatbread
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 level tablespoons | 2.6 oz | 75 grams plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 280 ml (1 cup + 2½ tablespoons) milk (2%, full fat or unsweetened almond milk)
- Whisk flour, garlic powder, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yogurt, oil and milk.
- Knead for about 1 minute until a soft dough is formed (it doesn't need long). Cover bowl with wrap or a plate and set aside to rest at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Dust a clean work bench with a light coating of flour. Divide dough in half, then divide each half in 4 equal-sized pieces (you will have 8 pieces in total). Roll the pieces into balls; flatten them out with the palms of your hands, then use a rolling pin to roll each piece 2mm thick and about 3½ inches or 10cm in diameter.
- Lightly grease a nonstick pan with cooking oil spray (or a small brush of oil) over medium heat. Cook one piece for 2 minutes on one side. Lightly spray or brush the top over with oil/butter again before flipping. Cook until golden. Repeat with remaining flatbread.
- To serve, lightly brush each piece with a small amount of olive oil or garlic olive oil (optional).
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.