Chicken, Green Bean and Butternut Squash (Pumpkin) Curry
A beautiful aromatic ‘kid-friendly’ curry, sweetened with creamy butternut pumpkin (or squash) and loaded with tender chicken pieces = ultimate comfort food.
I know, it probably feels like I’ve abandoned you guys this past month. With school holidays plus additional holidays with my family…I’m back! And it feels so good to be cooking for you guys again.
I am also greatly aware that I owe you an incredible recipe. A recipe that even the fussiest, non-fans of curry will absolutely love. The problem with curry and my family? No one likes it. SO over the years, I developed this curry after many many hit and misses to create a flavour they die for. And of course, what makes this extra special is the inclusion of pumpkin.
There are two ways I make this curry. The first is to take it off the heat as soon as the pumpkin begins to melt. That way there are still chucks of pumpkin in the sauce.
OR. The better way is the creamier version. By allowing the pumpkin to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes after it’s cooked through, it begins to melt so beautifully through the sauce, creating an incredible flavour explosion. Every single taste bud dances with delight while eating each spoonful, and it’s not a spicy curry that will blow water out of your nostrils. It’s delicate and mild enough for children of all ages…not forgetting adults that can’t do spicy.
Add in any vegetable you like. There really are no rules to this curry. I add anything from broccoli, zucchini slices, carrot pieces, snow peas and green beans. Whatever I have on hand at the time always works.
After trying nearly every curry paste on the market, I’ve come to love the flavours in a good quality Thai Red Curry Paste. And although this isn’t a traditional Thai curry, it’s a curry that has people of all ages licking their plates clean. I swear.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium brown onion , chopped
- 1 medium carrot , peeled and diced
- 6 skinless chicken thigh fillets , cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 cloves garlic , crushed
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (mild if you can find it)
- 4 cups (600g) ready diced Butternut squash/pumpkin
- 200 g green beans , trimmed
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan/skillet on high heat. Sauté the onion and carrot until the onion becomes soft and transparent. Add the chicken and fry until just beginning to brown. Add the garlic and curry paste (if using), stirring together quickly to blend in the heat of the pan for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add the butternut pieces and green beans; keep cooking while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Stir the coconut milk through the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; add in the sugar and salt to your taste (I use about 1 teaspoon), and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the pumpkin pieces have softened. (If you prefer a creamier pumpkin curry sauce, simmer for 5-10 minutes longer until the pumpkin has completely melted through the sauce. YUM.
- Serve over steamed rice or cauliflower rice.