Sausage Eggplant Lasagna With Ricotta Pesto
A low carb lasagna cutting more than half of the calories than regular lasagna by using eggplant in place of pasta! Layered with so much Mozzarella cheese and a Ricotta Pesto…no one will miss the usual carb loaded lasagna.
Salted Eggplant ‘sheets’ are drizzled with garlic olive oil and pan roasted to enhance their flavour…
And a rich and rustic bolognese is made with slices of beef sausage instead of the usual beef mice…
Layered in the same way as lasagna…
….only guilt free with those garlic roasted eggplant slices.
Baked until all of the cheese have melted over the top and throughout. And watch that ricotta bubbling through the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Completely messy, rustic and cheesy…
Who needs pasta anyway?
Weight Watchers: 11pp per serve.
- 3 large eggplants, sliced lengthways into 1-cm strips
- Drizzle olive oil
- Salt to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 540g | 19oz beef sausages, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2x 400g | 14oz cans crushed tomatoes
- small pinch of sugar (or a natural sweetener if following low carb)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 250g | 9oz ricotta (or mascarpone) cheese
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray 2 oven trays with cooking oil spray. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on oven trays; drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to evenly coat with your hands. Roast for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, or until tender and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until light golden. Add the sausages and fry until browned and cooked through. Stir garlic through and cook until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season with salt to taste, a pinch of sugar, stock powder and basil.
- Place ricotta, pesto, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Grease a 6cm deep, 20cm (base) square ovenproof dish. Spread a third of the tomato sauce over the base of the pan. Add the eggplant slices over the top. Sprinkle ⅓ of the cheese over the eggplant. Layer with another layer of sauce, eggplant and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering with eggplant, sauce and half of the ricotta. Finish the top layer with sauce and remaining ricotta. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve.
© 2015 – 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.