A lighter and healthier version of lasagna with all of the traditional flavours you love, this easy slow cooker lasagna soup comes together in minutes. No layering. No waiting around your oven! Simply throw all of your ingredients into your slow-cooker or crockpot and you have lasagna soup ready to be served whenever you are!
If you feel like doing minimal work and maximum taste, then this is DEFINITELY the perfect recipe for you!
Now, I know you’re probably thinking : “Lasagna soup? EW NO! Leave traditional lasagna alone“! Well, we did too. Until we tried it. Lasagna normally leave me feeling heavy and full…of regrets But in this soup? No. This soup is so unbelievably light and RICH! Many of the recipes I found use so much water in the soup, which really leaves it bland and not like lasagna at all. In comes a recipe we use all the time in our lasagna, such as this Beef and Pumpkin Lasagna, only adding just the right amount of liquids to make it into a soup, but not enough to wash out the flavour.
Replacing ground beef mince for ground turkey to lighten up the load and calories, there’s absolutely no way of knowing — it tastes exactly the same. However, you can use beef (or chicken) if you like instead.
I shared this recipe as a sneak peak on my Instagram page, and it went nuts with people everywhere making it and loving it already! So, I made it three more times plus a video to show how simple this really is.
It’s safe to say not only is this the best lasagna soup you will ever try in your slow cookers… we also now have lasagna soup coming out of our ears. Want some? Come over. There’s plenty.
Warm comfort food at it’s lightest (or light-err). With SO MUCH melty CHEESE.
There are two ways to make this in your slow-cooker or crockpot: on high heat for 3 hours OR on low heat settings for 7 hours. Then, add your pasta and cover again for an additional 30 minutes or until your pasta is cooked to your liking. Just keep in mind I recommend cooking it until al dente then turning off the heat and serving immediately, or the pasta will continue cooking in the heat of your cooker and become gluggy. Something else I tried was turing off my slow cooker after the recommended cook time, and adding my pasta with the heat turned off (covering the bowl with the lid). The pasta still cooks in the heat of your slow-cooker, but it depends on the type of lasagna noodles you have on hand. I used instant lasagna sheets and it worked for those.
We also tried fresh lasagna sheets and they clump up once they begin cooking. Feel free to try what you have, but I do recommend dry instant lasagna sheets for the best possible outcome.
Like this one ↓
Then…prepare to be lasagna mesmerised without having to run three hours afterwards to work it off.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 8SP per serve!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500 g | 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic , or more to taste
- 1 large carrot (or 2 small carrots), peeled and chopped
- 1 large zucchini , chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (broth)
- 1 x 420g (14.5oz) can tomato soup or marinara sauce
- 1 x 420g (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (plain or galric and herb flavour)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon vegeta dry powder (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 8 large lasagna sheets (220g | 7 1/2 oz dry weight, not fresh), broken into bite size pieces
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (250g | 8 oz) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese , plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley , plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and fry, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, until browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the onion and garlic and continue to sauté until translucent and fragrant. Transfer the turkey mixture into a preheated slow cooker or crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with lid and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking time, add the lasagna sheets, cover and continue to cook until the pasta is al dente. Turn off heat and add the mozzarella, pushing it down slightly into the heat of the sauce to allow it to melt.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, parmesan, parsley and basil in shallow bowl. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- Divide soup into bowls (you may have some left over), scoop a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on top and sprinkle with extra chopped parsley and finely grated parmesan cheese to garnish.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.