Lasagna Soup has all of the traditional flavours you love, and comes together in minutes!
No layering or waiting around your oven! Simply throw all of your ingredients into your slow-cooker or crockpot and you have easy Lasagna Soup ready to be served whenever you are! If you feel like comfort food in a bowl, then this is DEFINITELY the perfect recipe for you!
Now, I know you’re probably thinking, ‘Leave traditional lasagna alone’! Well, we did too until we tried THIS soup! Lasagna is heavy, and usually leaves you feeling very full… But with this soup? Not at all. This soup is so unbelievably light and RICH!
Many of the recipes I found use so much water in the soup, which really leaves it bland and not like lasagna at all. In comes a recipe we use all the time in our reader favourite Lasagna recipe, only adding just the right amount of liquids to make it into a soup, but not enough to dilute the flavour.
HOW TO MAKE LASAGNA SOUP
There are two heat settings to choose from when making this soup in your slow-cooker or crockpot:
- On high heat setting for 3 hours OR
- Low heat settings for 7 hours.
Add your pasta and cover again for an additional 30 minutes or until your pasta is cooked to your liking. Just keep in mind I recommend cooking it until al dente then turning off the heat and serving immediately, or the pasta will continue cooking in the heat of your cooker and become gluggy.
Something else I tried was turing off my slow cooker after the recommended cook time, and adding my pasta with the heat turned off (covering the bowl with the lid). The pasta still cooks in the heat of your slow-cooker, but it depends on the type of lasagna noodles you have on hand.
Instant lasagna sheets work so well in this soup. We have used fresh lasagna sheets in the past, which tend to clump together once they begin cooking.
Feel free to try what you have, but I do recommend dry instant lasagna sheets for the best possible outcome.
Then…prepare to be lasagna mesmerised without having to run three hours afterwards to work it off.
MORE LASAGNA RECIPES
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound (500 g) lean ground beef mince
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or more to taste
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 14 oz (420 g) tomato sauce (Passata)
- 14 oz (420 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 beef bouillon cube crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 large lasagna sheets broken into bite size pieces
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz (250 g) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Fry meat, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, until browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté the onion until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Transfer to a 6-qt slow cooker bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with lid and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking time, add the lasagna sheets, cover and continue to cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Turn off heat and add the mozzarella, pressing into the heat of the sauce to allow it to melt.
- Combine ricotta, parmesan, parsley and basil in shallow bowl. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- Divide soup into bowls (you may have some left over), scoop a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on top and sprinkle with extra chopped parsley and finely grated parmesan cheese to garnish.