Simple Hoisin Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
I mean…why not greet you with a big bowl of this right in your face? Isn’t it the best way to open something? Something so close you can smell it.
Let’s be real. This stir fry is so simple and easy to prepare, I could cry. Loaded with Chicken and Broccoli and full of saucy Hoisin flavour, it makes me want to scream out HELLO WORLD.
Sizzling with so many Chinese aromas…your kitchen will be smelling like a Chinese restaurant on steroids.
This would also have to be our second favourite stir fry…because our first is the Simple Chicken Teriyaki from so long ago…before I had greys. Ok, well maybe not that long ago.
Teamed with steamed rice….(see the steam), Stir Fry in this house is always a winner and an emergency go-to when we have no idea what else to make.
I know it’s a given that stir fry is probably one of the most easiest dishes on the planet to cook. And probably some of the most healthiest. But the flavours you cook into them, and the way you pull it all together, can make or break your efforts.
Believe me. There is such a thing is way to many flavour combinations that don’t work.
But lucky for me…and for you guys…this one totally works.
Because for good measure, I whisked up a Chinese omelette and served it with that.
Why am I still talking?
Weight Watchers: 7pp per serve (Stir fry); 2pp per serve (Omelette)
- 500g | 1lb skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets (2 heads of broccoli)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Combine the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the Hoisin sauce for 10 minutes at room temperature to quickly marinade.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok (or cast iron skillet/frying pan) on medium-high heat. Add the chicken and stir fry until golden. Remove from the pan onto a warmed plate and set aside.
- Increase to high heat and add the garlic and stir-fry for about 1 minute or until fragrant and golden. Add the onion, red capsicum/bell peppers and broccoli. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until colours become vibrant. Return chicken to the pan with the remaining hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and ground ginger. Stir fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Combine the cornflour and the 2 tablespoons of water together and add it to the stir fry to help thicken the sauce. Stir fry for a further 3 minutes until sauce has thickened, chicken has cooked through and vegetables are just tender (or cooked to your liking).
- Whisk eggs and soy sauce together in a bowl. Heat a separate smaller skillet/pan with the oil. When beginning to steam, add the eggs and swirl them around the base to create a thin layer. Allow to bubble and fry for about 1-2 minutes until golden, and flip. Continue frying for a further minute until cooked through.
- Break up the omelette and serve over the Hoisin Chicken with Steamed Rice.
© 2015 – 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.