Crispy and Loaded Cheesy Bacon Smashed Potatoes with Chives and an Avocado Crema!
Smashed potatoes are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and the easiest and most delicious snack or side dish, aside from wedges and mashed potatoes. These smashed potatoes are over the top with flavour, loaded with melted mozzarella cheese, crispy bacon and chives.
Move over fries and mashed potatoes. We got the best of both worlds happening right herrrre.
And SO EASY TO MAKE! BOIL → SMASH → BAKE!
I spray these with cooking oil spray to get the crispiest, crunch while they’re under the grill (or broiler) in the oven.
Then, they’re loaded up and served with a super creamy avocado sour cream, also known as Avocado Crema.
If you love these taters, try these Crispy Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Potatoes.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 pounds | 1 kg potatoes (Yukon Gold or Carisma)
- A light spray of olive oil
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic or onion powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup diced bacon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and mashed
- ½ cup sour cream (or plain, greek yoghurt)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt to season
- Pre-heat your oven to broil (or grill) settings to high heat.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook, covered for 30-35 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain well.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray. Arrange potatoes onto the sheet and use a potato masher to LIGHTLY flatten the potatoes in one piece (not too hard or they will end up mashed).
- Spray potatoes lightly with olive oil spray; season with salt, pepper and garlic or onion powder (about ¼ teaspoon each per potato).
- Broil (or grill) until they are golden and crispy (about 15 minutes).
- While potatoes are broiling, fry the diced bacon until just beginning to crisp; drain fat on a sheet of paper towel; set aside.
- Remove potatoes from the oven; top with the mozzarella cheese and bacon; return to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Season with a little extra salt and top with chives. Serve immediately wight he Avocado Crema.
- Combine all crema ingredients in a bowl, mix well to combine.
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.