Blueberry Coconut Muffin Cake
A beautifully fluffy muffin-like cake filled with juicy blueberries with a hint of coconut and vanilla. No one will ever know this cake is low in fat. Perfect for breakfast with a steaming hot mug of tea/coffee. Or Nutella Hot Chocolate. Yes. Even better.
This is like a huge fluffy muffin in a tin. Hence the name I gave it. A big, fat muffin, with hardly any fat, except for the fat juicy blueberries. And that’s the only fat I wanted in this cake.
And it may not seempossible, but every mouthful still melts in your mouth with blueberry and coconut flavours so perfectly paired together, every mouthful is just pure joy.
So soft, just like a muffin. So fluffy, just like a muffin. So perfect…yes, just like muffin.
And the subtleness of coconut gives it such a buttery flavour, without any butter. Yep. No butter in this cake = no guilt whatsoever. How? Read on…
Apple sauce is like a magic potion. And with the right mixture of greek yoghurt and vanilla extract, you don’t even miss butter. It’s totally not necessary.
Of course, if you want to add butter instead, you can, but it’s perfect the way it is.
This cake is a version of the Coconut & Vanilla Blueberry Swirl Bundt Cake from a few months ago, when I just started sharing recipes on Instagram. That recipe has a killer Blueberry Syrup that would go amazing with this cake.
Weight Watchers: 3pp per slice
- 2 cups organic white self raising flour (or spelt, plain, or all purpose flour(s))
- ½ cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- 1 cup natural granulated sweetener (or sugar of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (3 teaspoons if using spelt, plain or all purpose flour(s))
- ¾ cup apple sauce (or light butter of choice)
- 2 tablespoons plain low fat greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any skim/low fat milk)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries tossed with 1 tablespoon (extra) flour
- Preheat oven to 176C | 350F. Line a medium-large sized loaf cake tin with baking/parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut, sweetener/sugar and baking powder.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add apple sauce, yoghurt, eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix well being careful not to over beat the batter.
- Pour half the batter into prepared cake pan and add half the blueberries over the batter.
- Pour in the remaining batter and top with remaining blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. Dust with a little icing sugar for an extra kick!
© 2014 – 2015, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.