A thick and creamy Sun Dried Tomato Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms. NO heavy cream — or ANY cream — at ALL! Plus dairy free and gluten free options.
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Parmesan Chicken with NO CREAM and PACKED with flavour!
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Parmesan Chicken
There’s so much flavour happening in this pan right now, and only a quarter of the fat and calories when compared with typical creamy sauce recipes. Pan fried garlic followed closely by sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms AND melted parmesan cheese through this sauce makes this dinner incredible.
How to make a creamy sauce with no cream
To make the creamy sauce for this recipe, you’re going to use evaporated milk. You can use full fat or reduced fat. You can also use plain milk if you like, but please take care that you don’t boil your sauce rapidly or it will curdle. Keep it to a very low and gentle simmer.
- First, coat your chicken breasts (or thighs), in a mixture of flour and parmesan cheese. You can use all purpose, plain flour or Tapioca Flour to cut back on gluten. Tapioca Flour is made from cassava root and incredible for gluten free cooking and baking.
- Once your chicken is coated in the flour / parmesan mixture, fry them in a skillet (or pan) until golden browned on both sides and cooked through.
- Then add the sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms, sautéing them until the mushrooms are soft and the pan is filled with sun dried tomato flavours.
Creamy Sauce for Chicken
Do you see how creamy this sauce is? And how without cream? Using normal, humble milk. That’s it. That’s the BIG secret that’s really no secret. Milk mixed with cornstarch when it’s simmering = a beautiful, thick and creamy sauce without the fat and calories of thickened or heavy based creams. A beautiful, weeknight OR weekend meal that FEELS like a cheat meal withOUT any cheating.
WATCH HOW WE MAKE Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Parmesan Chicken HERE!
Love Creamy Sun Dried Tomato? Try these recipes!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts , halved horizontally to make 4 fillets
- 2 tablespoons Tapioca flour (or all purpose or plain flour/s)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons reserved sun dried tomato oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 200 g | 7oz jarred sun dried tomato strips in oil , drained (reserve 2 tablespoons of oil for cooking)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (250 g | 8 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (reduced fat or full fat milk)*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk**
- ⅓ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs (optional for added flavour)
- 2 tablespoons fresh shredded basil , to serve
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour mixture; shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Fry the chicken until golden on each side, cooked through and no longer pink (about 5-6 minutes each side, depending on the thickness of your chicken). Transfer onto a warm plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet; sauté the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms; fry until the mushrooms are just soft.
Reduce heat to low heat, add the milk (or cream if using) and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste and add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan. Continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens. (Only use cornstarch if using milk for your sauce.)
- Add in the parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan; sprinkle with the fresh basil and a little extra pepper (optional), and serve over pasta, rice or steamed veg.
*Substitute milk with almond, rice, oat, or coconut milk. Alternatively, use half and half or a reduced fat cream. If using cream in place of milk, do not add the cornstarch mixture. You won't need it.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.