Sun Dried Tomato Cheesy Meatballs (Low Carb)
Tender and juicy Sun Dried Tomato Cheesy Meatballs (Low Carb) spiked with sun dried tomato pieces, garlic and fresh herbs, fried and simmered in a simple tomato sauce with so.much.cheese. All in one skillet!
No one complained at the dinner table with this one. Or the dinner couch, if I’m going to be completely honest.
Serve over pasta or Zoodles for a lower carb option. You won’t even miss the pasta. Those meatballs smothered in sauce are the hero.
For these meatballs, I used a mixture of both beef and pork mince. Something about that combination results in the most beautiful flavour and tender meatballs. Of course, you can use just beef, but I like to live my life on the edge.
Combined with almond flour to bind them and keep them low carb OR you can use breadcrumbs if carbs are your thing.
You know what the best part about these is? Bursts of sun dried tomato pieces in every bite.
May have indulged in some trash tv on the couch in our pyjamas, slurping on zoodles and eating more meatballs than humanly allowed.
This is one of those recipes you won’t regret.
This recipe is right up there with those Creamy Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Zoodles!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 12pp per serve (2 large meatballs + sauce + cheese)
- 500 g beef mince
- 500 g pork mince (or use extra beef mince)
- 1 egg , lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or 1/3 cup breadcrumbs if not following low carb)
- 150 g semi-dried tomatoes , drained and oil reserved
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic , crushed
- 4 table spoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste (about 1 tablespoon) and pepper
- reserved Sun Dried Tomato oil
- 2 x 420g jars tomato pasta sauce (or tomato soup)
- 180 g large bocconcini balls (6 large balls the size of golf balls), sliced
- Combine mince, egg and almond flour, tomatoes drained of oil (reserve oil), cheese, garlic, paste, oregano and basil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into 12 meatballs (I used full palm sized meat mixture).
- Heat oil in a non stick oven proof pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in batches for 3 to 4 minutes while occasionally turning to brown on all sides.
- Heat reserved semi-dried tomatoes oil in pan. Add the tomato sauce (or soup). Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Return meatballs to pan; bring to the boil; reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs have cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to grill (or broil) settings on medium heat halfway through cooking time. When meatballs are ready, arrange the bocconcini slices over the meatballs and place pan into the oven. Grill/broil until cheese has melted.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.