Our Hot Chocolate recipe is decadently rich and creamy without using any heavy cream or sweetened condensed milk, and halving the calories without sacrificing flavour!
A special ingredient Hot Chocolate that people will be asking, pleading and begging you for your ‘secret’.
A hot chocolate or hot cocoa recipe so simple, using minimal ingredients while keeping a decadent flavour so hard to resist, they’ll be coming back for seconds!
We have been making this hot chocolate for so many years, way back before hot chocolate mixes were any good. Even today, this hot chocolate STILL beats the flavour pants off of any powder mix.
So….what’s the secret?
I don’t think you can handle this.
Okay, you can.
Evaporated milk. That’s it. That’s the BIG secret, because no one would ever guess in a gazillion million years you’ve used it. This hot chocolate tastes like it has a gallon of heavy cream or vanilla ice cream mixed through it.
Try this on any hot chocolate fan, and they will be grabbing you by your shirt demanding the recipe. IT’S EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE.
Special Ingredient Hot Chocolate
An ORIGINAL ©CafeDelites recipe.
- 3 cups 2% milk (or full fat)
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder*
- 1/3 cup sugar (or a natural granulated sweetener that measure 1:1 with sugar to save calories)
- 1 x 12-ounce (375 ml) can evaporated milk (for a richer flavour, do not use skim or light)
- Whisk together the milk, cocoa powder and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat. When the cocoa powder has dissolved and the ingredients have combined together, bring the milk to a simmer. Reduce heat and continue steaming for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and allow it to heat through the cocoa milk for a further 2 minutes, and serve.
Absolutely Amazing! To my special cup, I added a shot of peppermint schnapps and sat by the fire. Wonderful!