Double Chocolate Brownie Pancakes
Also known as Birthday Cake for breakfast. Chocolate on chocolate makes for the best breakfast on earth. And brownies!
It was my birthday yesterday, and all I wanted was an excuse to eat super fluffy chocolate brownie cake for breakfast without a baking time, drizzled some more with extra chocolate sauce. I mean, who wouldn’t?
The best part of these is that they provide a ‘eat-while-you-cook’ (if you’re anything like me)’ type of situation before they have a chance to hit the plates.
And nothing beats the steam coming off of them as they come out of the pan. The chocolate smells that fill your kitchen can compete with any chocolate bakery. It’s Cocoa haven. Yes, that’s what I said: haven.
And to make them healthy — I served them with fresh berries.
See? I can be healthy.
Now…as with all chocolate batters..it doesn’t look — um — pleasant. Or dark enough.
But they do darken on arrival to your plates.
And then there’s that ganache-slash-sauce happening and drizzling all over the top…..
And all over the sides……
….to the front. That’s how we do it over here….
….creating a river of creamy chocolate and absorbing into the very centre of these brownie-cakes for breakfast, like something out of Willy Wonka’s Paradise.
Only, it’s right on your plate. A chocolate lovers dream….
Double Chocolate Brownie Pancakes
Pancakes: 3pp per pancake (or 7pp for two pancakes)
Ganache: 3pp per serve
- 1 cup self raising flour (or plain/all purpose or spelt flour/s are fine)
- 1/2 cup wholemeal | whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cup raw sugar (or your natural sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (2 teaspoons if using plain/all purpose flour/s)
- (1/2 teaspoon baking soda if using plain/all purpose flour/s)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons light butter , melted (or oil of choice)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups low fat/skim milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice (I used dark chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons low fat/skim milk (or almond milk)
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar (or sweetener), baking powder (and baking soda if using) and salt together in a mixing bowl. Pour in the butter (or oil), vanilla and milk. Whisk until combined. Fold through chocolate chips.
- Heat a nonstick pan over low-medium heat with cooking oil spray. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is set. Flip and cook until done. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over stove top (use your preferred method). Stir with a fork until lump free and evenly melted. Add the milk and whisk until smooth, combined and a creamy sauce has formed.
- To serve, dust with a little icing or confectioners sugar, and drizzle with the chocolate ganache.
61 Calories | 3.8g Fat | 7.1g Carbs | 0.6g Protein
OMG! I just finished my dinner and had a dessert craving and googled “healthy mug cake” and found this as the top result so why not?… I mean, I’ve tried many recipes but this one is a total WINNER! It’s so tasteful, full of chocolate, melts in your mouth. It’s simply perfect in taste and texture. (I used 1 tbsp chocolate beverage powder instead of sugar and it worked perfectly!). Thank you so much, this is my new everyday favorite recipe!
Made these using only whole wheat flour and they’re sooo good and healthy of coursee! cant be thankful enough for discovering your blog 2 years back ♡♡♡
D. Durand Worthey says
HOLY MAMA OF GAWD! These babies look so incredibly dope! I almost licked the dang screen! I am inspired and motivated to get the kitchen and try this like ASAP! I am not sure if I should thank you or run for the hills. Thank you!
Haha aw you’re very welcome!
June Burns says
Wow those look delicious! Sounds like my kind of birthday breakfast 🙂 Love the addition of ganache, such a luxurious topping 😀
Girl and the Kitchen says
OMG Karina! Number 1 Happy birthday! But number 2…could you GIVE me anymore food porn…I feel like I need a cigarette right now! Gosh those are some amazingly gorgeous photos!!!
Tasbih @ Cleobuttera says
Happy Birthday Karina! Wishing a lifetime full of love, health, happiness, loads of chocolate and lots and lots of delicious (but Weight Watchers friendly) food! These brownie pancakes…I have no words, other than thanks for the torture! I’m pinning these for my birthday. See you in May brownie pancakes:)))
Haha Tasbih thank you so much! You crack me up girl! And yes, I kinda think maybe you should accidentally on purpose try these before then…. 😉 Thank you for pinning my friend! Lots of love to you too Xxxx