Caramel Apple Pancakes
Juicy soft apple pieces enwrapped in vanilla and cinnamon fluffy pancakes, with a thick sweet caramel sauce.. all homemade!
With that intro, do I need to say more? This was breakfast. This was an accident. Sort of. All I wanted was pancakes. But, you see, the way my brain works, I can’t do simple pancakes. I have to complicate my life. It’s standard Karina.
And what came out from a pancake craving…well, let’s just say, I’m not complaining. Because who doesn’t want homemade caramel syrup first thing in the morning?
Rushing home from taking my kids to school in the morning, I had pancakes banging inside my head from one side to the other, over and over. But what type of pancakes? Then I heard the apples singing to me as I opened the door and walked into the kitchen. So. Caramel Apple Pancakes it is. Or was. And fresh from making those Caramel Apple Chai Muffins a few days ago, I knew I wanted them again. In pancake from. Because. Pancakes.
And lucky for meeeeee I had 2 apples needing and begging to be sliced open and tampered with. One for inside the pancakes, and one for the caramel perfection happening outside, on top and all over the pancakes. Is there really any other way?
Pure heaven on a plate.
Actually, if I’m going to be completely honest, I’m just finishing the last stack as I’m typing this out. It’s going something like this: type, stab, eat, lick (fork and fingers), type, swallow, float up to heaven for a bit, stab another piece, eat, close my eyes for a few seconds, chew, float up to heaven again, lick fork and fingers…well, you get the idea.And those apple pieces inside the cake fluffiness? Well oh em gee and slap me sideways. The End and Amen.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour (spelt or all purpose are fine)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sweetener/sugar of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 heaping tablespoons apple sauce (if you're in Australia, I simply use the Coles or Woolies brands)
- 2 tablespoons light butter (I use Flora light) or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 apple , chopped finely
- 1 apple , cored and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (or try coconut sugar for a healthier option)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sweetener/sugar and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre, and add the vanilla, egg, apple sauce, butter/coconut oil and milk, whisking until a smooth batter is formed and free from lumps. Fold the apples through the batter.
- Cook pancakes as you normally would, flipping when golden and removing when cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make your caramel apples sauce in between flipping pancakes.
- Combine apples, butter, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until butter is melted. Add half of the milk while stirring and bring to a gentle simmer. When the syrup begins to thicken, add the rest of the milk, stirring again, and simmer on low heat until apples are soft. Set aside and watch the caramel magic happen while it thickens into a heavenly caramel syrup!
- Meanwhile, make the pancakes!
- To serve, place 3 pancakes on plate with apple syrup. Option: top with crushed nuts
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.