Apple Chai Muffins with a Caramel Custard.
Oh hello you beautiful vanilla chai spiced muffin, with chunky apple pieces and a sweet caramel sauce…
Let me start off my saying… Chai is an often under-estimated tea used in baking. It’s looked at as just a tea. But Chai can be added to anything. Pancakes, Cakes…and my favourite…muffins..
These muffins are a rip-off from a Honey Chai Apple Pancakes recipe I made a while back now..way back before I ever knew I was going to start blogging my stuff. How happy was I that these turned put super fluffy, soft and sweet with a hint of vanilla chai and those beautiful soft apple pieces bursting through every mouthful? I was very, very happy. And the caramel topping…it’s a cross between caramel sauce and a caramel flavoured custard pudding. The absolute best of both worlds.
Every time I’m out shopping with my three tornados…I mean kids…they are forever asking me for Caramel Apples. Those rip-your-teeth-right-out-of-their-gum-socket apples. I love ’em too, and I wanted them. Like reeeeaaaallyyyy wanted them. (A softer version. My teeth don’t hold up like they used too).
Either way though…with or without caramel…these beautiful muffins hit the spot. Super fluffy and irresistibly moist.
And so simple. Really. Start off by brewing your tea….
And wait for your house to fill with the beautiful chai aroma…
Perfect with an afternoon cup of tea…or coffee…or more Chai! Because why not?
And if your game…drizzle with this homemade (or store bought) sticky caramel ‘custard-like’ sauce.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 3 vanilla chai tea bags (I use Twinings)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2 red apples , (unpeeled) cored and diced finely
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup natural sweetener/raw sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 3 tablespoons light butter/coconut oil , melted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt (whole grain spelt or wholewheat all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk (I used low fat milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch/cornflour
- Pinch of salt
- *Extra milk (if needed)
- Preheat oven 180C | 356F.
- Grease 2 muffin tins with cooking oil spray, wiping with a paper towel.
- Place tea bag in the boiling water and set aside to brew.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine apples, cinnamon, vanilla and sweetener/sugar, mixing well until apples are coated.
- Add the egg, egg whites, butter/oil, apple sauce, honey and brewed tea. Squeeze any excess tea from the tea bag into the cake batter and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour(s), baking powder and baking soda until all ingredients are combined.
- Mix in to wet ingredients.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of batter per muffin into prepared muffin tins and bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking...prepare your caramel sauce!
- Combine sugar, milk, vanilla and cornstarch/cornflour in a small saucepan on medium heat
- Whisk continuously until the sauce begin to heat up and thicken.
- Once thickened to your liking, (it doesn't take long -- about 4 minutes), remove and allow to cool.
- When the sauce has cooled, if you find it too thick (like a pudding or custard) for your liking, add 1 - 2 tablespoons of *extra milk while whisking, until smooth and creamy to how you like it. Simple!
- Spoon the caramel over your muffins and enjoy
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.