Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast Streusel Muffins! French Toast…with a Muffin twist!
These French Toast muffins are perfect for on-the-go hungry emergencies…or to sit and eat freshly baked out of the oven….or to have a stash in the refrigerator only to reheat and eat when you need them.
Stuffed with juicy blueberries and cheesecake flavours — YES I said CHEESECAKE (sorry for yelling), and a crispy streusel topping…these were like muffins without the mixing and beating.
Hands down beats porridge in the morning.
So, here’s the breakdown in my MC Hammer pants.
First….spread the ‘cheesecake’ flavoured spread onto each piece of bread. Meditate while doing so — with eyes wide opened.
Cut them into 1-inch little cubes of cheesecake goodness.
Add them into your super sexy egg wash. Mix around. Add blueberries. Smell those vanilla smells.
Spoon them (yes…spoon), into a muffin tray. Sprinkle with Streusel (or not, but so freaking good with Streusel for an incredible crispy and crunch sweet top). Add some-more blueberries on top. Bake in your oven.
Okay. So drizzle is the minimum. More like drown, maybe.
Or do as normal people do and watch the gloriousness of a perfect full French Toast muffin on your plate.
Proceed to rap in your best 90’s voice, You can’t touch this.’ Drown in more maple Syrup, because it’s breakfast, and breakfast requires syrup. Right?
Split it open to see those blueberries burst all through your muffins.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 5pp per muffin!
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 8 slices sandwich bread (280 g | 101/2 oz)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups skim/low fat milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or a Natural granulated sweetener to lower calories/carbs)
- Pinch of salt (optional - about 1/4 teaspoon))
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Extra lemon juice of 1/2 a lemon (optional)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries + 1/4 cup extra for the top
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Preheat your oven to 180C | 350F; line a 12-cup non-stick muffin tray with muffin liners OR spray with cooking oil spray; wipe over excess and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, 1 teaspoon sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; mix to combine.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over 1 side of each slice of bread. Sandwich two slices together at a time and cut each sandwich into 1-inch cubes. (You should end up with 8 cups of cubed bread).
- Whisk the eggs, milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, salt (if using) and vanilla together in a large shallow dish. Add the bread and mix it through the egg wash (using your hands is easier than a spoon), until all bread is thoroughly soaked. Drizzle extra lemon juice over the top (optional), and gently fold through the blueberries. Using a spoon, fill the muffin cups with the french toast mix (about 3 tablespoons per muffin hole). Set aside and make your streusel:
- Combine the sugar and flour in a small bowl; cut in butter using a metal fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins. Top with extra blueberries.
- Bake muffins 20-30 minutes, or until streusel on top has turned golden in colour. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan 5 minutes, or they may fall apart when taken out too soon.
- Serve straight away with maple syrup.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.