Blueberry Coconut Muffin Cake
A beautifully fluffy muffin-like cake filled with juicy blueberries with a hint of coconut and vanilla. No one will ever know this cake is low in fat. Perfect for breakfast with a steaming hot mug of tea/coffee. Or Nutella Hot Chocolate. Yes. Even better!
This is like a huge fluffy muffin in a tin. Hence the name I gave it. A big, fat muffin, with hardly any fat, except for the fat juicy blueberries. And that’s the only fat I wanted in this cake.
And it may not seempossible, but every mouthful still melts in your mouth with blueberry and coconut flavours so perfectly paired together, every mouthful is just pure joy.
So soft, just like a muffin. So fluffy, just like a muffin. So perfect…yes, just like muffin.
And the subtleness of coconut gives it such a buttery flavour, without any butter. Yep. No butter in this cake = no guilt whatsoever. How? Read on…
Apple sauce is like a magic potion. And with the right mixture of greek yoghurt and vanilla extract, you don’t even miss butter. It’s totally not necessary.
Of course, if you want to add butter instead, you can, but it’s perfect the way it is.
This cake is a version of the Coconut & Vanilla Blueberry Swirl Bundt Cake from a few months ago, when I just started sharing recipes on Instagram. That recipe has a killer Blueberry Syrup that would go amazing with this cake.
Blueberry Coconut Muffin Cake
Weight Watchers: 3pp per slice
- 2 cups organic white self raising flour (or spelt, plain, or all purpose flour(s))
- 1/2 cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- 1 cup natural granulated sweetener (or sugar of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (3 teaspoons if using spelt, plain or all purpose flour(s))
- 3/4 cup apple sauce (or light butter of choice)
- 2 tablespoons plain low fat greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any skim/low fat milk)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries tossed with 1 tablespoon (extra) flour
- Preheat oven to 176C | 350F. Line a medium-large sized loaf cake tin with baking/parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut, sweetener/sugar and baking powder.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add apple sauce, yoghurt, eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix well being careful not to over beat the batter.
- Pour half the batter into prepared cake pan and add half the blueberries over the batter.
- Pour in the remaining batter and top with remaining blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. Dust with a little icing sugar for an extra kick!
Kessy Kegan says
Made this for mum’s birthday, I didn’t even manage to get a slice . Everyone was head over heels with this . It was so yummy I added berries and blueberries and it smelled divine as well . Thanks for the recipe
Natalie Clarke says
Hi should the batter mix be quite thick?
It will be little thick for the consistency of the cake to blossom in the pan. Enjoy your cake!
I thought I did.. But it’s a good excuse to just try and Make it again! ;)))
Hi!! I tried to make this fluffy cake but didn’t turn out well:((. Left it in the oven for over an hor but inside was still wet and felt like a brick (maybe overmixed it?). I did use half a cup of sugar instead of 1. Does that Make a difference? Any advice? Thank you!!!
Hi Najat. It’s really hard to say why this cake didn’t turn out without being there and baking it with you. Did you follow the recipe exactly? A few followers on Instagram have made this cake with success and posted pictures of it, it’s a shame it didn’t work out for you 🙁
A muffin in cake form?! Talk about yummy!!!
Yes girl! So fluffy! Xx
Hello!! I wanted to make this wonderful blueberry coconut muffin cake but I had one question to ask. Do I used sweetened or unsweetened coconut? This recipe looks delicious and I can’t wait to bake it!! Thank you for your time!
Hi Dana! I would say sweetened would give the cake a beautiful flavour. I used unsweetened, but either is fine! Thank you for stopping by Xx Have a great New Year! And you’re welcome! Any time…