Creamy Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
Comfort food at its finest! Pasta and a white wine spiked creamy sauce — also known as Beef Stroganoff — ready and on the table in less than 20 minutes!
No canned soups or ready made packets of anything. No coating the beef with any flour. Just cream with a hint of wine aromas gently simmering away on the stove.
The ultimate in ‘comfort food.’
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 13pp per serve
- 500 g | 1lbs egg Fettuccine (dry weight)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , crushed or minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons reduced fat/light butter
- 700 g | 24oz thinly sliced lean beef fillet steaks (sirloin; eye fillet or scotch fillet), seasoned with salt
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (or more if you like it stronger)
- 2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water mixed with 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour | cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup light sour cream (or Greek yogurt; or reduced fat cream cheese)
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme (optional)
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to packet instructions until al dente. Remove; strain and set aside.
- While pasta is boiling; melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Sear the steak in single layer batches until browned; transfer to a separate plate and set aside until all batches are done. Add the remaining butter to the pan; add onion and fry and until transparent. Add the garlic and fry until just fragrant (about 30 seconds) before adding the mushrooms; fry until the mushrooms are tender and cooked through (about 4 minutes). Add the wine, reduce heat to a gentle simmer to combine all of the flavours in the pan.
- Mix together the stock, worcestershire sauce and cornflour; pour the mixture into the pan stirring to combine. Simmer for 4 -5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Return the beef strips to the pan; season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Stir through the sour cream (or the Greek yogurt or cooking cream if using).
- Serve over the pasta and garnish with the parsley.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.