A Cajun Chicken Salad with a homemade Cajun spice seasoning and the most incredible creamy cajun dressing to put out the fire (so to speak)!
Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad with Creamy Cajun Dressing… All I can say is that if you really love your family, this will be on tonights dinner plan!
Cajun spiced food is a family favourite, BUT, with most of the seasonings available in the supermarkets, there’s no controlling the amount of ‘hotness’ or ‘mildness’ — with hotness being the main problem if you can’t stand the heat. This Cajun seasoning can be easily adapted to your tastes and put on anything really. For today, it’s going on a salad with some of it going into a creamy dressing to keep the flavour going!
A mixture of paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and a kick of cayenne adjusted to suit YOUR tastes buds, make this seasoning out of this world A.MAY.ZING.
Not wanting to taint the Cajun spiced chicken with a different flavoured dressing, we use a teaspoon of the same seasoning and mix it into a mixture of whole egg mayo and yogurt to cut calories without sacrificing on flavour. THIS DRESSING is the BEST part of the whole salad! I reserved a few teaspoons to smother on crackers later on because HELLO CAJUN SPICED DIP!
I used chicken thighs for this salad, but I have tried breasts with it as well and it is JUST AS GOOD!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (or breasts)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper, adjust to your taste
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, adjust to your taste
- 4 cups romaine (cos) lettuce
- 1 lebanese cucumber, quartered
- 2 cups Heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons non fat, plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Combine Cajun seasoning ingredients together in a shallow bowl, and mix well to combine. Reserve 1 teaspoon of seasoning to use in the dressing, and set aside.
- Lightly coat each chicken fillet in the seasoning on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan (or on a grill or skillet) over medium-high heat until hot (not smoking). Sear / grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches to prevent excess water being released.) Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Prepare salad with the lettuce leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado slices and onion slices. Slice chicken into strips and arrange on top of the salad.
- Mix the reserved cajun seasoning with the mayonnaise and yogurt (or sour cream). At the point, you can add extra mayo or yogurt (sour cream), salt or pepper, adjusting to your tastes.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.