Balsamic Baked Chicken Breast rubbed with garlic and herbs, dripping with a tomato balsamic sauce and melted mozzarella cheese!
It doesn’t get any better than this EASY chicken recipe! Boneless, skinless chicken breasts stay juicy baked in balsamic vinegar, getting so much flavour from grape tomatoes, red onion slices and a touch of garlic.
A READER FAVOURITE SINCE MARCH, 2018!
I can’t stop with this tomato baked chicken recipe. While chicken breasts bakes over a bed of tomatoes, the sauce turns into a delicious tomato pan gravy. The most delicious pan sauce to mop it all up with garlic bread. Plus the addition of melty mozzarella cheese makes this easy chicken recipe the best you will try.
If those aren’t reasons enough on their own to give this recipe a try, you will love that you only have one dish to clean up.
Let your oven do ALL the work and have the most delicious baked chicken breast on your table in less than 30 minutes!
HOW TO BAKE CHICKEN BREASTS
There are only four steps to this recipe. F.O.U.R.
- Season chicken breasts in a mixture of herbs, salt and pepper, and the most fundamental ingredient: olive oil. Olive oil not only adds flavour to chicken breasts, it also adds moisture AND help your seasonings stick to the breast while avoiding chicken sticking to the bottom of your baking dish.
- Pour in the balsamic sauce that acts like a two-for-one: tenderises and adds another level of flavour to otherwise boring or dry breasts.
- Bake. This is the part that terrifies some people. How long two you bake chicken breasts for? High or low temperature? How do you know when it’s done? TERRIFIES. Because there’s nothing worse than dry-hard-to-swollow chicken breasts. I hear you loud and clear. But! It should not be a terrifying experience. After all, it’s just chicken.
- Broil (or grill in the UK and Aus). You want your melted cheese to be bubbling and golden on your chicken, right? Yes.
Through years of trial and error, I prefer roasting chicken breasts at high heat (220°C or 430°F) instead of low and slow. Why? I find the longer they are left in the oven, even on low heat, the quicker they dry out and resemble a shoe sole. Breasts don’t need much time at all.
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE CHICKEN BREAST IN THE OVEN?
At the above temperature, usually for around 15-20 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts, it could take longer), or until juices run clear and breasts are no longer pink in the middle. If you’re in doubt, use a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is heated through to 160-170°F (or 70-75°C).
Cooking time can vary though, depending on how thick your chicken breasts are, how hot your oven runs and if you have preheated it before baking.
I prefer to use fresh shredded (or grated) mozzarella cheese for this recipe, and for most of my recipes. Pre-shredded packet cheese never seems to give the same result as fresh mozzarella. You can use either one, it’s just personal preference.
After baking, allow your chicken to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it. The cheese acts like tented foil over it which allows it to hold on to all of those amazing juices.
Also, this cheesy cheese pull is worth the extra biceps of grating cheese.
I personally love a smooth Rosé with this recipe, but a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio go well also. For something a little sweeter, try a chilled glass of Riesling.
We serve this with plain rice, drizzling all of the pan juices over it. It is divine. You can also serve it over pasta mixed with olive oil and garlic, mashed potatoes or for something lighter, a simple side salad.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Balsamic Baked Chicken Breast rubbed with garlic and herbs, dripping with a tomato balsamic sauce and melted mozzarella cheese! It doesn't get any better than this EASY chicken recipe! Let your oven do ALL the work and have the most delicious Baked Chicken on your table in less than 30 minutes!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (around 9oz | 250g each breast)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, (5-6 cloves garlic)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or basil, to garnish
Preheat oven to 220°C | 430°F.
Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with oregano, basil, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. Rub seasoning all over each breast. Arrange the tomatoes and red onion around the chicken in the dish.
Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, sugar and remaining garlic in a jug to combine. Pour over the chicken breasts, flip each breast in the sauce to evenly coat.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts), or until no longer pink in the middle. Sprinkle with cheese and broil (or grill) for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
Garnish with parsley, and serve with rice or pasta drizzled with the pan juices.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.