Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad With A Mango And Avocado Salsa! Holding onto Summer for a just a bit longer, this Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad has so much flavour in it with a creamy/sweet Mango Avocado Salsa for an extra Summer feel!
With a marinade that doubles as a dressing, much like that Grilled Chilli Lime Chicken Fajita Salad, this salad is, dare I say, even better!
Char-grilled red pepper (capsicum) slices, crispy romaine lettuce, and the tangy, sweet marinade soaked into tender chicken thighs would complete this salad right there. But, what outshines in this salad is the mango salsa. I was extremely hesitant to put mango in this salad, but, I could almost taste the pairing of creamy avocado with the juicy, sweetness of mango, and knew somehow that these would go together. And they did!
Including the mango made this thing extremely addicting. We could NOT stop eating it.
While creating this salad, my husband was watching me from the comfort of his safety zone, shaking his head while watching me throw ingredients around like no ones business, stopping to taste test every 5 seconds, adjusting ingredients and flavours as I went along, dancing to Beyonce in my kitchen. He eye-balled everything that was happening, looking at me like I was some crazed lunatic taking over his kitchen.
Mango and Avocado? Together? With Chicken? You sure?
Yes Paul. Calm down. Just watch.
First, make up the marinade/dressing | Pour one third out into a shallow dish | Marinade the chicken thighs in that sweet, tangy, cilantro marinade | Reserve the untouched marinade to use as a dressing later. Simple?
Next, pan fry or grill your chicken until cooked through. The honey and brown sugar in the marinade will char these slightly. Yuuuhm, right?
Pan fry or grill you peppers.
And prepare the best salsa you’ve ever tried in your life with a couple tablespoons of the reserved dressing. I know, I know. We ALL say that ours is the BEST. Let me just add ⇒ good luck not eating it all before it hits the salad.
Arrange your salad and prepare for a mind-blown experience. And don’t say I didn’t warn you!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers Smart Points: 11 per serve
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, skin removed (no bone)
- 5 cups Romaine (Cos) lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), deseeded and sliced
- 1 large mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 green onion (shallot), peeled and thinly sliced
- Extra coriander leaves to garnish
- Red chili flakes, to garnish
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour a third of the marinade into a shallow dish to marinade the chicken fillets for at least 15 minutes (ideally one to two hours if you have the time). Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat about one teaspoon of oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches of two to prevent excess water being released.) Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and grill or fry peppers and until cooked to your liking.
- While peppers are cooking, prepare the mango salsa. Combine the mango, avocado and green onion in a bowl. Add in two tablespoons of the reserved dressing to the salsa. Set aside.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with leaves, sliced peppers and mango salsa. Top with the chicken strips. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve with (optional) extra coriander leaves and red chill flakes.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.