Salmon and Avocado Caesar Salad
Here comes my confession: I love Caesar Salad. And what I love more than a good caesar salad, is a twist on the traditional.
Remember the Skinny Chicken and Avocado Caesar Salad I shared a few months ago? Well, this is like that…but better.
After the amount of sugar and desserts I’ve been posting lately, I was in ‘salad withdrawal’.
Crispy pan fried Salmon fillets are a beautiful addition to this salad — especially with creamy avocado slices, crunchy croutons and the tang of parmesan cheese slices. My second confession is a major love for a perfect runny poached egg on top.
At first I was hesitant to try salmon with egg, but then again, Niçoise Salad contains egg and Tuna. Plus, the dressing contains anchovies. So, not to be a hypocrite, I tried this and loved it so much I decided to share it.
This Salmon and Avocado Caesar Salad recipe is much easier to make than what it looks like on paper; it’s just a matter of pan frying the salmon fillets.
Oven grilling/broiling the croutons (or buying them all ready made)… Pan frying the diced bacon…
And poaching (or boiling) a couple of eggs.
While all that’s happening, arrange your salad on your plate; mix some dressing through the green crispy lettuce; and top it with the salmon and egg.
Drizzle on the dressing! It isn’t as low in fat or ‘light’ as the Chicken Caesar recipe…but it’s still lighter than traditional dressing. Crack open a perfectly poached egg…
Serve with a squeeze of lemon, and prepare to go on a Greek summer holiday.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST AND TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
This recipe is for two people, but can easily be divided into four serves (it's very filling), or doubled to serve more!
- ½ cup cubed ciabatta or sourdough
- 2x 140g | 5oz fresh salmon fillets, skin off
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup diced bacon
- 2 eggs, poached or boiled
- 2 cos lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayo (full fat or reduced fat)
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream (full fat or reduced fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice a lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to grill/broil settings on medium - high heat. Place the cubed bread onto an oven tray; drizzle with olive oil (or spray with cooking oil spray) and bake in the oven (on middle shelf) until crispy.
- Rub the salmon fillets with garlic powder and salt. Heat a non stick pan/skillet with a drizzle of olive oil and fry salmon until golden on both sides and cooked to your liking. Remove the salmon; squeeze the lemon juice over each fillet and set aside onto a warm plate. Add the bacon to the same pan and fry until golden and crispy. While the bacon is frying, boil or poach your eggs to your liking (and don't forget to check your bread in the oven)! If poaching, bring a small pot of water and 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to a gentle boil over medium heat. Create a fast whirlpool in the centre of the water with a spoon, and while that water is swirling, crack your egg (one at a time) into the middle. Once the whites begin to set, spoon some water over the yolk until it begins to change in colour with a cloudy white top, and remove the egg immediately with a slotted spoon.
- To make the Caesar Dressing:
- Combine mayo, yogurt, oil, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice and parmesan in a magic bullet blender, small blender or a small food processor. Blend until well combined; add salt and pepper to your tastes, and blend again until smooth. Taste test.
- Assemble Salad:
- Combine lettuce with the salmon and bacon; avocado slices; shaved parmesan cheese; and croutons. Pour over the dressing; mix well to combine; place the eggs on top and serve!
© 2015 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.