Creamy Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
Comfort food at its finest. Pasta and a white wine spiked creamy sauce — also known as Beef Stroganoff — ready and on the table in less than 20 minutes.
No canned soups or ready made packets of anything. No coating the beef with any flour. Just cream with a hint of wine aromas gently simmering away on the stove.
The ultimate in ‘comfort food.’
Weight Watchers: 13pp per serve
- 500g | 1lbs egg Fettuccine (dry weight)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons reduced fat/light butter
- 700g | 24oz thinly sliced lean beef fillet steaks (sirloin; eye fillet or scotch fillet), seasoned with salt
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup dry white wine (or more if you like it stronger)
- 2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water mixed with 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour | cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup light sour cream (or Greek yogurt; or reduced fat cream cheese)
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme (optional)
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to packet instructions until al dente. Remove; strain and set aside.
- While pasta is boiling; melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Sear the steak in single layer batches until browned; transfer to a separate plate and set aside until all batches are done. Add the remaining butter to the pan; add onion and fry and until transparent. Add the garlic and fry until just fragrant (about 30 seconds) before adding the mushrooms; fry until the mushrooms are tender and cooked through (about 4 minutes). Add the wine, reduce heat to a gentle simmer to combine all of the flavours in the pan.
- Mix together the stock, worcestershire sauce and cornflour; pour the mixture into the pan stirring to combine. Simmer for 4 -5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Return the beef strips to the pan; season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Stir through the sour cream (or the Greek yogurt or cooking cream if using).
- Serve over the pasta and garnish with the parsley.
© 2015, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.