Slow Cooker Beef & Sweet Potato Stew is easy to throw together and filled with fall apart, tender beef pieces and sweet potato!
There’s nothing better than coming home to a home cooked meal, filling your house with rustic comfort food aromas, with nothing else to do but serve and eat. That is this meal, friends.
If you’ve been with me from the beginning — from before this blog started and Instagram was more my thing — you will recognise this recipe from the archives as this Warm Beef And Sweet Potato Casserole. A few readers have been asking how to convert that recipe for a slow cooker or crock pot, and since we have been slow cooking this stew for a while now, it was time to share, share, SHARE.
Normally with any slow cooker recipe, browning the meat is required first for an added depth of flavour. With this recipe, however, we don’t need to do that. I have found that the beef cooks to a softer and a more fall apart texture when cooked this way (without browning), but having said that, you’re more than welcome to brown it first if that’s what you’re used too.
With this recipe, you just throw it all in and wait for it to cook and thicken into a glorious stew, while the sweet potatoes begin to melt through the sauce, creating a flavour explosion so rich, you’ll be happy to have leftovers!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 3 pounds | 1½ kg beef stew meat (I use trimmed chuck steak), diced into 1 inch cubes
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2-inch pieces (roughly 3 cups diced)
- 300 g | 10 ounces baby potatoes, halved
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 14 ounces | 410 grams can diced tomatoes
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crushed
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- Place the meat and flour into a 6qt (6 litre) slow cooker bowl. Stir to coat meat and add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the bay leaves and parsley). Stir all ingredients together and place bay leaves on top.
- Cover, and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat setting for 4 to 6 hours.
- Taste test before serving, and add extra salt or pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley,
- Serve over white rice or mashed potatoes.
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.