Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese are crispy and buttery on the outside, while soft and sweet on the inside, making way for one of the best ways to eat a sweet potato!
This is a no fail recipe, and started when Bianca, a faithful long-time reader, emailed to ask if she could make those Crispy Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes instead, for dietary preferences. And for seasonal purposes. Normally, I’d be like: GO AHEAD! DO ITTTT! But. (Big But). Sweet potatoes have such a different texture than normal potatoes, I had to try this one out myself before suggesting anything.
Well, smack me upside the head. These are (were) INSANE. THANK YOU BIANCA.
In testing these, I tried two different methods.
1/ Baking them first until fork tender, smashing on the same tray (less washing up — lazy person confession), and continued baking to crisp awesomeness
2/ Boiling them first, draining each piece, then placing them on a tray, smashing, and baking to crisp perfection.
Either way, you can’t go wrong. Personally, I prefer the boil method first, as they seem to almost caramelise in their own natural sweetness while boiling before baking. BUT. You can do either!
I also found gently smashing them a fork was much easier than using a potato masher. A potato masher just, well, mashed and destroyed. You may have to mould them a little into shape after smashing them, because they are much softer than the average potato.
Then drizzle in melted garlic butter, broil (or grill) for a another 10 – 15 minutes, and mentally prepare yourself for the BEST smashed sweet potatoes you will ever try in this lifetime. Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes With Parmesan Cheese. To be exact.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or 3 large sweet potatoes)*
- A light spray of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to broil (or grill) settings to high heat. Trim off the ends of the sweet potatoes. Cut each sweet potato into quarters (or 1½ - inch pieces).
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook, covered for 20 -25 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain well.
- Bake sweet potato pieces for 25-30 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Allow to cool for about 5 minted, or until you can handle them without burning your hands.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray. Arrange sweet potatoes onto the sheet and use a fork to LIGHTLY flatten each piece (they will be soft, so try not to press too hard or they will end up breaking and mashed).
- Mix together the butter, garlic and parsley. Pour the mixture over each sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Broil (or grill) until they are golden and crispy (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven, sprinkle over the parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Season with a little extra salt and parsley, and serve immediately.
**I prefer the boil method first, as they seem to almost caramelise in their own natural sweetness, before baking. But either method works.
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.