Banana & Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Fluffy Healthy Banana Muffins with juicy blueberries and melt-in-yo’-mouth chocolate chips
This was one of those situations where I couldn’t make up my mind if I wanted banana muffins…or blueberry muffins…or chocolate chips muffins…so I merged them to have them all in one. Yeah, I did. And it works. Its totally works.
Chocolate chips…in my opinion…make everything better. They soothe the soul.
It’s taken me a while to post these up on my blog. I don’t know why? I’d forgotten all about them until yesterday when I was clearing out all of my old photos. As soon as I saw these, I slapped myself upside the head. Why oh why have I not posted these? These are baddddd to the bone…with guitar riff and all.
I took these pictures when they were smoking hot straight out of the oven. Ripping them apart, burning my fingers, and licking the mess I was making, I couldn’t help but have a stripper soundtrack playing in the back of my mind. My eardrums thrummed with a sexy song and phat bass line that I normally hear with chocolate. These are sexy. Simply put. A flavour so sexy and so sinful, yet they’re healthy? I know…sometimes I have to pinch myself.
I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I never wait for anything to cool down when they come out of the oven. Never. Unless there’s an emergency, like those toilet emergencies where when you gotta go, you gotta go. But other than that, I never wait. You can count on me to burn every finger ripping cakes and muffins out of their pans, and then as if that’s not enough, proceeding to burn my mouth and my tongue, flapping my arms and hands around like an excited chicken. Flapping them to try and cool my mouth (because that really works), excited when they turn out better than I imagine. And excited that I can have more than one.
Because one is never enough.
These would be good any time of day. breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. Desserts. Midnight. Wherever. Whenever. Like Shakira.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed really well
- 2 Tbs (40g) light butter/coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup natural sweetener/sugar of choice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites (1/4 cup liquid egg whites)
- 5 tablespoons apple sauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups spelt flour: I used 1 cup wholemeal and 1 cup white (but you can substitute with plain or all purpose flours)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips of choice (I use dark chocolate)
- ¼ cup (extra) chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat oven to 180°C | 360°F.
- Spray 2 muffin trays with spray oil and wipe over with paper towel.
- In a large sized bowl, mix together all wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing again, but be careful not to over beat the batter.
- Fold in blueberries and chocolate chips.
- Pour ¼ cup batter per muffin into each muffin cup and top with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 25 - 30 mins, or until muffins are golden brown on top and cooked through when tested with a toothpick
© 2014 – 2015, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.