Strawberry Shortcake Greek Yogurt Pancakes
Beautiful and fluffy, cake-like wholemeal (whole wheat) greek yogurt pancakes recreated and made into the classic Strawberry Shortcake for a morning indulgence with half the guilt! Topped and layered with a greek yogurt/whipped cream mixture and drizzled with a home-made strawberry syrup! Yum!
These are a reflection of those Fluffy Greek Yogurt and Mixed Berry Chocolate Chip Pancakes from about a month or two ago. I don’t know anymore. I’ve lost count. And kinda like those Strawberries and Cream French Toasts, but in pancake-shortcake form.
How did something like this happen?
School holidays. The first day of school holidays and three children shouting their orders at me like we’re at some sort of free-for-all restaurant. Only, I’m not a waitress children. Calm down.
Now that I’ve started this blog, it’s all fun and games for them. Trust me. It’s like they take advantage of Cafe Delites more than anyone else does.
BUT! These were so worth it
I had one screaming for pancakes…the other one spilling strawberries out all over the floor, and the third one with a can of whipped cream shoved into their mouth. And this all happened in a matter of seconds.
It was chaos.
I did what any good mother does and set them to work.
One whisking, one cracking, one pouring, one flipping, one squirting whipped cream all over the place like their life depended on it, and then comes me…shooting. I know…I can count to three. I promise. But when one finished, I had to put them to work on the next job.
My kitchen = Tornado City.
But somehow…by some beautiful miracle…these were created. And all three using what they had their eyes on in the first place.
So I’m not complaining. Thank you children.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 7pp (for 2 pancakes plus toppings)
- 1 cup organic white self raising flour (or plain/all purpose or light white spelt flour)
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (1 tablespoon baking powder if using the other flour options)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon if using other flours)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons light butter , melted (or any cooking/coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim/low fat milk)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh (or frozen) diced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light/reduced fat whipped cream
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoons icing/powdered sugar (optional - adjust to suit your tastes)
- (Extra) finely chopped strawberries to garnish
- Combine together all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine together the eggs, oil, vanilla and yogurt. Whisk well until creamy and smooth. Add the milk, and mix until combined.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture over the dry ingredients and stir slowly and gently with a wooden spoon until batter is just combined. (The batter will be thick and a little lumpy).
- Heat a pan/griddle on medium heat and spray with cooking oil spray, spreading it out evenly with your spatula. Using a ladle or ¼ cup measuring cup, pour batter onto pan to make pancakes. When batter is on the pan, spread it out a little with the back of your spoon to shape them.
- Cook them for about 3-4 minutes, and check the underside before flipping. If golden, flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until cooked through. Bubbles don't really form on these due to thickness. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Combine strawberries, sugar, water and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and gently simmer and a syrup forms and thickens.
- Combine the greek yogurt with the whipped cream in a small bowl. Add sugar only if needed, and mix through.
- To serve, layer with the greek yogurt/whipped cream; dust with a little icing sugar and top with the syrup!
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.