Potato Salad with Bacon, Dill Pickles, Eggs, HALF the carbs AND a creamy mayo/sour cream dressing!
This Potato Salad is THE BEST side dish for your weekend menu planning! HALF of the carbs of regular potato salads with SO MUCH FLAVOUR! YES! I’ll take it all!
The recipe includes LOW CARB AND ALL CARB OPTIONS!
Potato Salad Recipe
Potato salad is for EVERYONE! Wait…how does one make a potato salad with half the carbs you may be asking? EASY! When wanting to replace starchy potatoes, cauliflower is your friend, BUT having said that, you can leave out the cauliflower and use ALL potatoes if not watching your carbs. The choice is yours, and the recipe covers all bases.
When making THIS potato salad, I make it using half a bowl of cauliflower and the other half potatoes to please everyone. You could also leave out the potatoes all together and make it completely low carb if you wish. WIN WIN!
Same potato salad taste; same potato salad additions.
Potato Salad Ingredients
Fully loaded, this potato salad has the holy trinity of all things incredibly delicious:
- DILL PICKLES
I also add in some celery and onion for added flavour. You could also add in chopped chives, boiled carrots and peas, etc.
How To Make This Creamy Dressing
I’m promising you flavour with a lower in fat dressing and I’m delivering. The BEST flavour happens when combining sour cream AND mayo — both low fat if watching your calorie count or macros. Try to find a whole egg mayo for the best mouth watering results.
Of course, you can make the dressing the way you want and use ALL mayo, OR ALL sour cream… low fat OR full fat, depending on your dietary preferences.
I’ve kept this recipe as open and versatile as possible.
Potato Salad with Bacon, Eggs and Dill Pickles
- 2 pounds (1 kg) potatoes, skin on or off*
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into 2-inch florets**
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dill pickles, sliced (or chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and quartered (optional)
- 1/2 cup crispy bacon, sliced or chopped
- 3/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise (low fat or full fat)
- 3/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat or full fat)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Boil potatoes with cauliflower florets in a pot of salted water until both are tender (about 10-15 minutes). Drain and allow to cool completely.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the potato, cauliflower, onion, pickles, celery and 1/4 cup of green onion. Toss to combine well.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together all of the dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad, mixing through until completely coated in dressing. Taste test and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Refrigerate before serving.
- When ready to serve, top with remaining green onions, bacon and quartered boiled eggs. Garnish with extra dill leaves (optional). (You can also add about 1/4 cup chopped pickles on top to decorate.)
Wow, I’m speechless. The bacon and pickles really highlighted the flavor in this recipe, this is now going to be a kitchen staple! Thanks for sharing!
I came across this receipe and it looked delicious, so I made it for a family BQ, there was no left overs, and everyone wanted the recipe. This is definitely a keeper in my house. Thank you.
YAY! What a win-win! I am so glad that it was a huge hit and that everyone wanted the recipe. You are awesome! Thank you for choosing one of my recipes to share with your family. Thnak you so much for following along with me! XO
Okay, now I’ve got to try this!
Karen Hopkins says
We fixed this for our Memorial Day cookout. Even the cauliflower haters couldn’t tell it had cauliflower in it and loved it.
That is great to hear!! YAY, what a success! I am so glad that you tired it and it worked! Thank you for sharing! XO