Nutella Stuffed Browned Butter Gingerbread Deep Dish Skillet Cookie ⇐ MOUTHFUL! Have you ever just wanted to pimp up your Gingerbread cookies? Yeah. Me too.
This is a Christmas cookie — on steroids. A gingerbread deep dish cookie, baked in a skillet pan OR pie dish, stuffed with Nutella, filled with chocolate chips, and guaranteed to please every single person who eats a piece of this pie. Even if you’re not a fan of gingerbread…I’ve created this in such a way that you will be converted.
It can be shared…or not. Depending if you slice it (because if it’s not sliced, it still counts as one piece…amiright)? Depending on the weather. Depending on your circumstances…and the situation of Christmas shopping until your hair falls out from high stress levels that you need the comfort of gooey cookie dough…crispy edges…and Nutella healing. It’s.good.for.us. Or..at least this homemade Nutella is better for us.
How the hell did this idea come into my brain? My son. He is addicted to gingerbread cookies. Every single time we go shopping, he forces me to buy him a few dozen.
So, of course, me being the Nutella freak that I am, (don’t laugh, I know you all are too…because you’re here), I had to merge my Nutella Stuffed Skillet Cookie with Gingerbread…and BAM.
But you know what makes this even more special? BROWNED BUTTER! YES! And YOU’RE WELCOME!
It may take an extra 5 minutes to brown butter, but the crispiness and nutty flavour is absolutely worth every second standing at the stove watching butter go from frothy richness to golden nuttiness. I mean, the aroma alone is enough to make you pass out.
Plus golden syrup (or molasses)…brown sugar…cinnamon…cloves…and of course ginger. Festive ingredients all rolled into one gigantic cookie.
This is one of the recipes I’ve been busy creating for one of Australia’s top online recipe sites: Best Recipes! You can see the post they created over there following this link! However, they were gracious enough to allow me to post this recipe right here for YOU! Thank you Best Recipes Team!
While creating this gigantic cookie-gasm, all I could think of was easy and quick; simple and stress-free (okay, stressed-less) Christmas cookie planning and baking. As much as we’d love to…some of us don’t have the time to stand at a bench rolling out dough, cutting out gingerbread men shapes while trying not to eat the entire bowl of cookie dough. So, after browning the batter, simply allow it to cool down, whisk the wet ingredients into the dry.
Fold in your chocolate chips…
Line your pie dish or skillet. Layer the cookie dough with Nutella.
Spread the Nutella evenly…
Top with more cookie dough and a sprinkle of extra chocolate chips.
Try not to face plant into the pie when it comes out of the oven . If you can, at least try to wait until it’s cooled. Just a little.
And HELLO! Gooeyness of cookie dough inside every slice. Crispy outer edges of normal cookies. Gingerbread flavours with browned butter all swirled in together. And warm melted everything.
Serve with ice cream and prepare for the cookie coma.
Keep your eyes peeled to Best Recipes. There are more recipes from Cafe Delites hitting their site!
Thank you Best Recipes for your support!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 1/4 cup butter*
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup golden syrup (or molasses)
- 3/4 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Nutella , melted (or this homemade Nutella recipe)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium-high heat until it rises and begins to froth. Reduce heat and allow to simmer while occasionally stirring until it begins to turn a golden brown colour. Take off the heat and allow to cool down to room temperature.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Set aside. In a smaller bowl or jug, whisk the cooled butter, brown and white sugars until smooth and combined. Whisk in the egg and golden syrup.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing slowly with a wooden spoon until just combined and a smooth dough forms. Fold in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spoon half of the cookie dough into the pan and smooth out on top with the back of a metal spoon. Evenly pour the melted Nutella over the base.
- Then, add the remaining cookie dough over the Nutella in small pieces, pressing down gently until the Nutella is completely and evenly covered. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the top layer comes out semi-clean (the cookie will be gooey inside, so the toothpick may come out a little dirty. That's ok!). Then, top with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
*Browning the butter will reduce the 1 1/4 cups measurement to just over 3/4 cups. This is normal.
**This recipe can be halved and baked in an 8-inch pie dish/skillet, to reduce calorie and fat content.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.