Nutella Hot Chocolate Oatmeal (Porridge)
A creamy oatmeal made from hot chocolate. Oh, but not just any hot chocolate. I’m talking Nutella Hot Chocolate. Yep. I did.
Why? Ummm. Well, you know those mornings where you wake up craving really bad things, but it’s too early to interrupt your body with all sorts of junk? Like, I mean straight up Nutella out of a jar. Yeah. I had one-a-those. And with all the Nutella recipes coming outta my ears lately, I wanted something easier. Like-throw-stuff-into-a-pot-and-let-the-stove-do-it-all… type of thing.
So, then what happened was….I thought, ‘just make the Nutella Hot Chocolate from a few weeks ago.’
Making up this Nutella Hot Chocolate….again….oh the smells filling my house was so overwhelming, I may have passed out for a minute. Or two.
So, well, then I thought, heyyyyyyyyy throw in some OATS! Make a porridge! Because anything with oats is healthy, right? No, not really. But for today, it is.
But, one of the issues most of us bloggers have, is that we can’t do the same thing twice. It’s like a disease or something. A good one.
So then, after making this up and accomplishing, what I think, is a completely good thing, I couldn’t just leave it alone. It needed some chocolate chips that melted all the way through the Nutella oasis of oatmeal. And some crushed hazelnuts for extra crunch. And, needing a little more something speshal….some chocolate drizzle over the top.
Oh chocoholics unite!
Especially with hazelnuts. It’s definitely healthy.
This breakfast right here? It’s a must-make-once-in-your-life-to-really-feel-a-moment-of-happiness.
Nutella Double Hot Chocolate Oatmeal (Porridge)
- 4 cups low fat/skim or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons Nutella , a chocolate hazelnut spread (or any healthier hazelnut cacao spread)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons natural sweetener of choice/raw sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats (or quick oats)
- 1 tablespoon light butter (optional - butter ads a beautiful flavour to this oatmeal, but you can use coconut oil for a healthier option, or leave it out completely.)
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Chocolate chips
- Extra Nutella
- Combine milk, Nutella, cocoa powder, sweetener/sugar and oats in a medium sized saucepan on medium - high heat until beginning to warm and steam. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and continue to stir occasionally. Once oats have fully absorbed the milk, take off heat. Add e=a little extra milk if oatmeal is too thick, until reaching your desired consistency,
- Serve with your desired toppings.