Grilled Pizza Panini… It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and cook — from start to finish!
Ok. I think this is the mother of all grilled cheese recipes I have on Cafe Delites. Pizza grilled cheese. Pizza Panini. Whatever you want to call this…it’s made with pizza bases instead of bread and it’s one of the best things you will probably ever put in your mouth.
Smothered in tomato pizza paste AND red capsicum (or red pepper paste) for an added incredible flavour…it’s like eating a pizza inside out.
Filled with fresh tomato slices, pepperoni and so much mozzarella cheese…one of these Grilled Cheese Panini things and some serious unbolting of pants meant carb overload. And so worth it. So much dripping cheese. I think I heard Italian angels singing in harmony.
This is a fun and different pizza experience to prepare for the adults. I mean kids. I meant kids. I swear I did.
And you can use any means you have available to you to make them. Panini Maker; Sandwich Maker; stove top in a Grill Pan (or normal pan); OR your oven. It doesn’t really matter. I’ve bought many mini pizza bases and tried them all. But the one I loved (only because I use it for everything), is my George Foreman Grill.
The idea for these came at me when seeing these mini pizza bases on sale in the supermarket. Of course my brain thought of normal people pizza…but then somewhere took a detour and started imagining a pizza grilled cheese.
So, as a foodie does, I went on all internet sites only to find I’m not so smart to invent this thing. And whoever did…I praise them wholeheartedly. Because this is the best way to eat a pizza I think I’ve ever tried.
Serve with some vino tint…or go the Port way. Either way….this is ten times better than eating a take out pizza. And 10 times faster than ordering pizza and waiting impatiently at the door for the pizza man only to jump on him before he gets the chance to knock.
You’re every pizza dreams have come true. You’re welcome.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Weight Watchers: 12pp per Panini!
- 8 thin mini pizza dough bases
- 2 tablespoons Pizza Tomato Paste (or Pizza Sauce), divided
- 2 tablespoons roasted red capsicum/pepper paste (optional, but it guarantees a great flavour; if you don't have this just replace with extra tomato paste), divided
- Italian dried herbs mix (oregano; basil; parsley; thyme, etc)
- 12 slices Pepperoni , divided (or more -- adjust to your tastes)
- 8 thin slices Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil spray
- Lay each pizza base down on a work surface. Spread both the pizza tomato paste/sauce and the red capsicum/pepper paste on each pizza base; sprinkle with the Italian herbs.
- On only four of the bases, layer with the pepperoni slices and mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and/or pepper (optional). Place the remaining four bases over each pizza to create a sandwich. Spray your Panini/Press machine with cooking oil spray, and lightly spray the outer sides of each sandwich (or brush over with oil). Place onto the Panini/Sandwich maker and cook until the pizza crust turns golden and the cheese on the inside has melted through.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.