Grilled Pizza Panini… It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and cook — from start to finish!
Ok. I think this is the mother of all grilled cheese recipes I have on Cafe Delites. Pizza grilled cheese. Pizza Panini. Whatever you want to call this…it’s made with pizza bases instead of bread and it’s one of the best things you will probably ever put in your mouth.
Smothered in tomato pizza paste AND red capsicum (or red pepper paste) for an added incredible flavour…it’s like eating a pizza inside out.
Filled with fresh tomato slices, pepperoni and so much mozzarella cheese…one of these Grilled Cheese Panini things and some serious unbolting of pants meant carb overload…and so worth it. So much dripping cheese.
This is a fun and different pizza experience to prepare for the adults. I mean kids. I meant kids. I swear I did.
And you can use any means you have available to you to make them. Panini Maker; Sandwich Maker; stove top in a Grill Pan (or normal pan); OR your oven. It doesn’t really matter. I’ve bought many mini pizza bases and tried them all. But the one I loved (only because I use it for everything), is my George Foreman Grill.
Serve with some vino tint…or go the Port way. Either way….this is ten times better than eating a take out pizza and 10 times faster than ordering pizza.
You’re every pizza dreams have come true.
Grilled Pizza Panini
Weight Watchers: 12pp per Panini!
- 8 thin mini pizza dough bases
- 2 tablespoons Pizza Tomato Paste (or Pizza Sauce), divided
- 2 tablespoons roasted red capsicum/pepper paste (optional, but it guarantees a great flavour; if you don't have this just replace with extra tomato paste), divided
- Italian dried herbs mix (oregano; basil; parsley; thyme, etc)
- 12 slices Pepperoni , divided (or more -- adjust to your tastes)
- 8 thin slices Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat your Panini Maker; Sandwich Press or George Foreman Grill according to manufacture instructions. (Or use any of the other cooking methods mentioned above in this post).
- Lay each pizza base down on a work surface. Spread both the pizza tomato paste/sauce and the red capsicum/pepper paste on each pizza base; sprinkle with the Italian herbs.
- On only four of the bases, layer with the pepperoni slices and mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and/or pepper (optional). Place the remaining four bases over each pizza to create a sandwich. Spray your Panini/Press machine with cooking oil spray, and lightly spray the outer sides of each sandwich (or brush over with oil). Place onto the Panini/Sandwich maker and cook until the pizza crust turns golden and the cheese on the inside has melted through.
COULD YOU MENTION THE BRAND OF PIZZA SHELL YOU USED … LOOKS ALMOST LIKE A SKINNY BUN. THERE WAS AN INGREDIENT SITE TO CLICK ON BUT NOTHING CAME UP. I COULDN’T ACCESS IT TO FIND THE TYPE USED. THESE LOOK GOOD & AS I’M EXPECTING THREE GRANDSONS NEXT MONTH FOR A VISIT ….. THIS RECIPE WOULD FILL THE BILL. DON’T LIKE WASTING TIME OR MONE EXPERIMENTING WITH “POSSIBLE” INGREDIENTS, THOUGH. THANKS.
Grady's line camp says
That sounds really easy and quick to cook. It could be a great meal for dinner or as a snack 🙂 Nice recipe!