Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon is packed full of flavour for an easy, weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
Pulling out an old reader favourite! Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon is a perfect meal for all of your family and friends to enjoy! Where do I start with THIS pan? The crispy skinned, juicy chicken thighs? Or the crispy bacon? Maybe the garlic / parmesan cream sauce loaded with sliced mushrooms.
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe
There’s nothing like a delicious bowl of Creamy Chicken Mushroom! But throw in crispy skinned chicken WITH crispy bacon and you’re onto a winner. Both heavy cream and lightened up cream options have been included in this recipe.
- Heavy cream for those of us on low carb, high fat dietary preferences. May the fats be forever in your favor.
- Lightened up with half and half (or reduced fat cream) for the other percentage of us worried about squeezing jeans passed our non-forgiving thighs.
Cream Sauce For Chicken
Creamy sauces are a favourite over here and I usually cheat on cream with lightened up versions like in this creamy piccata OR this sun dried tomato chicken. HowEVER, I sometimes like to use full fat cream, because HELLO nothing beats the full fat flavour of cream.
Easy Chicken Recipe
Dinner in my house has been looking a lot like this lately — mighty fine if you ask me. 30-40 minute dinners where my oven is fast becoming my bestest friend.
This one takes the cake. Or the cream. Whatever.
Parmesan And Garlic
These flavours are seen in most of our family recipes. Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes, Garlic Parmesan Salmon, Garlic Parmesan Mac And Cheese, Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potatoes, etc. When sharing this Mac and Cheese video on Facebook, my husband was all over me telling me to try the same flavours in a creamy sauce with CHICKEN AND THROW IN SOME BACON FOR GOOD MEASURE.
Originally Published October 3, 2016
WATCH HOW WE MAKE THIS Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon HERE!
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon
AN ORIGINAL CAFEDELITES © RECIPE
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 6 chicken thighs ((bone-in, skin-on or off))
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
FOR THE CREAM SAUCE:
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 7 ounces (200 g) diced bacon
- 14 ounces (400 g) sliced brown mushrooms ((Cremini))
- 1 cup heavy cream OR half and half*
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (only if needed to your taste)
- Extra chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Fresh shaved or grated parmesan (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F.
- Arrange chicken on a plate. Combine together the olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a jug. Rub the oil mixture over the chicken to completely coat.
- Heat a large oven proof pan or skillet over medium high heat. Sear the chicken, skin-side down first, until skin is crisp and golden brown. Rotate and sear the other side (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Transfer to oven and roast until completely cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once chicken is done, remove from skillet; set aside. Pour out HALF of the chicken juices left in the pan.
- Using the same skillet the chicken was in, fry the garlic in the reserved chicken juices over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bacon and fry until just beginning to crisp. Add in the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Pour in the cream OR half and half, chicken broth and Parmesan; allow to simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. (SEE NOTES if using half and half INSTEAD of cream option.)
- Season with pepper. Taste first before adding in any extra salt, as the bacon will add the salt.
- Add the chicken back into the pan; allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the cream to take on the flavours.
- Garnish with parsley and shaved or grated parmesan, if desired. Serve over rice, pasta, or steamed/grilled vegetables.
- If using cream: Thickened cream, heavy cream, light or reduced fat cooking cream are all fine to use. If you prefer a thicker sauce, whisk together 1 level teaspoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cream until lump free and well blended. Add the mixture into the cream sauce, while stirring continuously, until thickened.
- If using half and half: Bring to a gentle simmer; whisk 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into 1-2 tablespoons of *extra* half and half; pour cornstarch mixture into the centre of the pan; stir continuously until the sauce thickens and becomes a 'cream'. Nutrition facts are calculated based on skin-on, bone in thighs, and reduced fat cream.