Breakfast Egg Muffins 3 Ways are low carb, filling and perfect for meal prep! Spinach Tomato & Mozzarella, Bacon & Cheddar AND Garlic Mushroom & Peppers!
Whether you’re on a low carb or Keto diet, or you need something quick to grab while running out of the door, Breakfast Egg Muffins are a delicious healthy saviour and PERFECT for Meal Prep! Although eggs are a preferred and versatile breakfast food, not many of us have the time to whip up a Caprese frittata, a steaming pan of Shakshuka, or poached eggs on toast and omelettes in the morning.
That’s where these protein packed eggs muffins come in! Just like mini frittatas, can be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated for when you need them to grab and go!
If you’re like us and love having eggs for breakfast every morning, shake up your breakfast routine with these mini frittatas. This is more like a 3 in 1 recipe: 3 types of Breakfast Egg Muffins to please everyone!
- Spinach Tomato & Mozzarella
- Bacon & Cheddar
- Garlic Mushroom & Peppers
First, you’re going to beat your eggs together with salt and pepper and some finely chopped onion. Pour the egg mixture into your pan and fill with whatever you like! Or follow this recipe and try the best tasting combos!
SPINACH, TOMATO & MOZZARELLA
Yep! Only 3 ingredients needed to add into this combination! I love these drizzled with a little balsamic glaze!
BACON & CHEDDAR
Only TWO ingredients needed in this one. To this combo you can add chopped chives or scallions, chopped asparagus or zucchini, or keep them just the way they are.
GARLIC MUSHROOM & PEPPERS
Like one of my favourite frittata at our family breakfast bistro, this one tops them all. Red peppers (or capsicum), with garlic and mushroom would have to be one of the best!
FRITTATA IN A MUFFIN TIN!
You can either spray a 12-capacity NON-STICK muffin tray with a light coating of non-stick oil spray, or line each cup with paper liners. Personally I prefer spraying them because I’m, not a huge fan to paper sticking to my frittatas. If you’re going to line them, be sure to get good quality non-stick liners (the same texture as parchment or baking paper).
We love serving our egg muffins with diced avocado and chopped tomatoes on the side for added nutrition and good fats.
Even though they don’t have any flour or baking powder and are completely gluten free, they are so fluffy when you bite into them!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING PERFECT EGG MUFFINS
- Grease your muffin tin properly and use a good quality non stick muffin tray. If in doubt, use parchment paper or cupcake liners to prevent sticking.
- The muffins puff up while they cook in the oven. Fill them 3/4 of the way up to prevent overflow.
- Let your muffins cool for about 10 minutes before attempting to remove them. Run a plastic knife or spatula around the inside walls of the muffin holes to help loosen them if needed.
HOW DO YOU STORE EGG MUFFINS?
Pack them into airtight containers and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make a batch in advance and then heat them up in the microwave (usually 10-15 seconds in enough) when ready to eat!
HOW TO FREEZE BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS
Let the egg muffins cool completely, then wrap individually in plastic wrap and pop them in a freezer-safe zip-lock bag. They will last for up to 2 months.
To reheat, unwrap from the plastic wrap and fold them in a damp paper towel. Heat in the microwave in 20 second increments until warmed through.
Breakfast ready in no time!
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS 3 WAYS
Breakfast Egg Muffins 3 Ways
- 12 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, (red, white or yellow/brown)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
TOMATO SPINACH MOZZARELLA:
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
GARLIC MUSHROOM PEPPER:
- 1/4 cup sliced brown mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, (capsicum), diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/3 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350°F | 180°C. Lightly spray a 12-cup capacity muffin tin with nonstick oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and onion. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add egg mixture halfway up into each tin of a greased muffin tin.
- Divide the three topping combinations into 4 muffin cups each.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until set.
- Let cool slightly, then serve OR store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat when ready to serve.