A carb lovers alternative dream come true! This How To Cook Spaghetti Squash post includes BOTH oven method AND microwave method!
Spaghetti Squash. What an awesome way to enjoy food!
Spaghetti squash can be used to replace any pasta, any time, when following a low carb diet or low calorie diet. Anything can be stuffed inside them OR drizzled and sprinkled over them for an easy weeknight or weekend meal. Bolognaise sauce? Yes! Ragu? Absolutely! Come to think of it, ANY creamy sauce can be served with these low carb spaghetti strands! I’m thinking Lemon Parmesan Chicken Piccata… Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon… you get the idea.
Not only is spaghetti squash a wonderful alternative to pasta, it is also rich in the B vitamins, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, potassium, manganese, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and zinc, omega-3 and omega-6.
The hardest part about preparing spaghetti squash is cutting them in half. I trimmed the ends off of these because the surrounding area was tough, and also they weren’t the cleanest looking things even after washing them.
Scoop out the seeds and discard them (or save the seeds to roast separately later for a really healthy snack idea)!
Drizzle with olive and season with salt and pepper. You can also season with paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried herbs — whatever the heart wants.
Place them, cut-side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet (or tray), and ROAST!
DONE! Scrape the inside flesh with a fork, and you’ll see spaghetti strands come straight off of the insides!
Mother nature… we heart you.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 medium or large spaghetti squash*
- olive oil spray (or 1-2 tablespoons olive oil)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F | 190°C. Lightly grease a baking sheet or tray with a brush of olive oil, or nonstick spray is fine to use.
- Wash the outside of the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise from stem to tail (if the stem is too hard to cut around, the ends may be sliced away). Use a spoon to scoop out and discard seeds from the middle of each half.
- Spray with a light coating of olive oil spray (or drizzle with olive oil) and season with salt and pepper to taste (optional but recommended for flavour).
- Arrange squash on baking sheet, cut-side down. Roast in preheated oven until tender (from 35-50 minutes, depending on the size of your squash).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling. Scrape with a fork, back and forth across the squash to separate the strands from the squash…they will look just like spaghetti strands!
- Follow step 2 in above method.
- Arrange the squash cut-side down in a microwave safe baking dish (large enough to fit 2 halves)
- Fill the dish with about 1-inch of water, which will create steam in the microwave.
- Microwave on HIGH for 15 minutes, then check to see if the squash is soft enough.
- If not cooked enough, microwave for 5 more minutes until tender in the middle.
- Carefully remove squash from microwave and allow to cool for a few minutes before handling.
- Scrape with a fork to create the spaghetti strands.
© 2016 – 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.